MidiExpression IO with FCB1010 pedal

handmansel

MidiExpression IO with FCB1010 pedal

Post by handmansel »

Hello everyone,
Just bought this interface recently hoping to finally get the fcb1010 up and going along with some expression pedals. So far no luck. Anyone have any pointers or have successfully used this to sync with the fcb1010? Thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Re: MidiExpression IO with FCB1010 pedal

Post by Rob »

What do you mean by "syncing" with the FCB1010? What are you trying to accomplish?
handmansel

Post by handmansel »

Before i purchased this product I had spoke with sales a little bit and they said that this would play nicely together with the fcb1010 if I used the midi input/outputs on the midiexpression IO. I just need the fcb1010 to be recognized by osx using the sysex protocol that the midiexpression has. Than Im thinking some other software called IFCB can take it from there. Ive had this pedal for 3 years and not been able to use it! And its crazy because im not the only one. It seems like someone would step up to the plate and solve this complex midi issue. I was hoping this would be simple plug and play but when i go into the midiexpression IO standalone app It doesnt even recognize the fcb1010 footcontroller at all! So I dont know what to do now.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

You had talked to me. You've hooked up the FCB1010 with midi cables already? That's all you need to do really. MIDI from the FCB1010 will go through the MIDI expression.

I haven't used iFCB before. I assume you need to tell it that FCB1010 is connected via the MIDI Expression?

Rob
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I just downloaded and installed iFCB. The program should automatically find the FCB1010. The website says that the FCB1010 needs to have firmware version 2.3. Do you know what version your FCB1010 has?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I was able to run the loopback test and figure out the best settings:
iFCB.jpg
iFCB.jpg (178.5 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
handmansel

Post by handmansel »

Thanks Rob for quick reply,
Didnt realize i talked to you! Haha. Thanks for downloading and confirming it works it gives me great hope that this can and will be accomplished in my lifetime! Haha. Ok so yes im using w hosa 5pin midi cables. Ive tried routing them through my focusrite and a midi to usb dongle from ebay which apparently doesnt support sysex. Anyways im unsure which ports are out and in on the midiexpression interface. Ive been doing testing both ways. I have made sure to go into settings and make sure every setting is on. Im using mainstage and can see the midiexpression as well as any appropritate device i hook up to it. Ive taken apart the fcb1010 and confirmed its version 2.51E. A long time ago i did a youtube walk through setting the global settings up and making sure midi was on channel 1 i think or some stuff. What mode should the board be in ? Thanks so much for your help. When this is all done im making a youtube video.
handmansel

Post by handmansel »

Also it looks like in the referenced picture you posted it says the fcb1010 was not found. Were you just testing loopback to make sure the midiexpression passes sysex data to the ifcb software? If you dont actually own one of these and there was a weird issue do you think you could figure it out if you had one? I mean you are a midi yoda(genius). At this point i may just send you one to test on. There is a huge market for these boards and noone has figured out the whole thing. Like wabbit wench does ifcb software. Another guy does fimware eprom chips called uno and some guys do a script based 1020 approach to doing it all manually. But its always up to you to find the right interface to initially get it to be recognized by osx or windows. With midiexpression its the best of both worlds because you have the midi interface supporting sysex, standalone software, vst plugin. If you get this working you can really advertise well to this demograph.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ya, I don't actually have an FCB1010 to test with, but ya, I was just showing that the MIDI Expression indeed can handle the SysEx requirements. If I had a FCB1010, I could probably get it working, but it honestly it shouldn't be that tricky.

I should have included a screenshot of the MIDI Expression routing settings, but the default settings for the device are correct. When I get home, I'll do another screenshot for you.

Regards,
Rob
handmansel

Post by handmansel »

Thanks for helping me with this Rob,

So I was so lost, i figured alot of my testing was done without even understanding i had to change the preferences! so when i chose the midiexpression i had fingers crossed thinking it would work but didnt. I have not changed any values in the ifcb settings except the large block setting as I see you chose. But i had changed settings in the midiexpression standalone...is there a way to reset back to default? i guess i could reinstall it. Anyways i think i just clicked everything on so it was highlighted in the global configuration for midi dins.

screenshot image of the loopback test