Where is there a compatibility list kept?

Jukka

Where is there a compatibility list kept?

Post by Jukka »

I've looked around quite a bit and could not find a compatibility list for Midi Expression anywhere, including in the manual and the main web-site. Could someone direct me to a good source?

Perhaps given the capabilities of the Midi Expression product, there would be a non-compatible list instead, the list of the few devices with known problems. :D

I'm looking to get at least two Midi Expression products and a range of sustain pedals, expression pedals, and kick pedals, My intended use is with a midi wind controller, with custom control through Max/MSP, with both VST software synths and Eurorack modulars.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Where is there a compatibility list kept?

Post by Rob »

Jukka wrote:Perhaps given the capabilities of the Midi Expression product, there would be a non-compatible list instead, the list of the few devices with known problems.
That's exactly it. I honestly don't know of any expression pedals that are incompatible. The only types of pedals would have any issues are traditional volume pedals that are meant for passive sources. These pedals typically have a pot inside them with a resistance of something like 250 kohm. Volume pedals designed for active sources typically have 25k pots and will work fine. MIDI Expression will work optimally with 10k ohm pots, but will also work well with 20k, 50k, and even up 100k pots.

Making a compatibility chart is definitely on my to-do list. What do you mean when you say kick pedals?
Jukka

Post by Jukka »

Hi Rob,
You demoed a pedal that looked like a kick pedal in your video "MIDI Expression -- Pedal Sensing Technology". What was that pedal? It looked rugged and precise.

On cursory glance i found three 'kick pedals':
Roland FD-8, Price: $149.00
Roland KT-10, Price: $229.00
Yamaha KU100, Price: $70

Do electronic hi-hat pedals work? As for example the "Yamaha Electronic Hi-Hat Controller Pedal" ($90)

I'm also wondering about the Morley expression pedals, there's a ton of different ones. They look like they might be good. I thought the "Morley M2 Passive Expression Guitar Effects Pedal" ($54) like as found at www.musiciansfriend.com might work.

Also in Expression pedals i saw the Behringer FCV100 ($30). the Moog EP-3 ($40), the Yamaha FC7 ($47), the Roland EV-5 ($60), and the Proline Standard Expression Pedal ($30). All are viewable at musiciansfriends too.

A list to start with doesn't need to be all inclusive and you can say that. Just a list of examples, that is added to when you're confident of a particular pedal or interface.

The note with that list that you aren't endorsing the quality or reliability of a particular pedal, just that it will work successfully with the Midi Expression seems appropriate too.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Jukka wrote:You demoed a pedal that looked like a kick pedal in your video "MIDI Expression -- Pedal Sensing Technology". What was that pedal? It looked rugged and precise.
That was a hihat controller from my Roland HD-1 drum kit. So yes, MIDI Expression devices support hihat controllers, but unfortunately they do not support piezo based pedals such as the Roland KT-10.
Rob wrote:I'm also wondering about the Morley expression pedals, there's a ton of different ones. They look like they might be good. I thought the "Morley M2 Passive Expression Guitar Effects Pedal" ($54) like as found at www.musiciansfriend.com might work.
I don't have that pedla, but it'll will work fine.
Jukka wrote:Also in Expression pedals i saw the Behringer FCV100 ($30). the Moog EP-3 ($40), the Yamaha FC7 ($47), the Roland EV-5 ($60), and the Proline Standard Expression Pedal ($30). All are viewable at musiciansfriends too.
All those pedals work fine. I own them all except the Proline.

These pedal should all work fine.

Kurzweil CC-1
Bespeco VM18L
Moog EP-2
Moog EP-3
Mission EP-1
Roland EV-5
Korg EXP2
Technics SZ-E1
Yamaha FC7
M-Audio EX-P
Behringer FCV100
Zoom FP02M
Hammond EXP20
Fender EXP1
Rocktron Hex
Boss FV-500H/L
Jukka

Post by Jukka »

Follow up: I asked Morley about the internal resistance of their M2 Passive Control Voltage Expression Pedal. They e-mailed me back, it is a linear taper of 10K ohms.