MIDI Expression Quattro compatible with FV-500L Boss expression pedal

ImediaMP

MIDI Expression Quattro compatible with FV-500L Boss expression pedal

Post by ImediaMP »

Hi Rob,

I have a Presale Question: Is MIDI Expression Quattro compatible with FV-500L Boss expression pedal? Have you tried? (because if i try to use it with Studiologic Accuna 88 instead of Studiologic's Expression Pedal it won't work correctly)

Furthermore is it possible to assign Modwheel AND Expression in Kontakt /Cubase 9 (f.e. 8 DIO Adagio Violins) to MIDI Expression Quattro Midiport, so that they correspond to CC 1 and CC 11?

Quick example: For me it would be important to play f.e. Violin Sustains with both hands and trigger CC 1 and sometimes CC1 + CC 11 with one Expression Pedal instead of using Modwheel.

Best - Markus
Rob
Site Admin

Re: MIDI Expression Quattro compatible with FV-500L Boss expression pedal

Post by Rob »

Hi Markus,

While I don't own this pedal, I know several customers are using it without issue. I'll actually probably buy it or the high impedance version just because I'd like to do a review.

I didn't google too hard, but I suspect the reason that the pedal doesn't play well with your StudioLogic gear is because the Accuna is designed for pedals that are wired differently. There are basically two ways that expression pedals are wired, with some manufactures supporting one or the other. MIDI Expression's polarity revising inputs automatically support both.
ImediaMP wrote:Furthermore is it possible to assign Modwheel AND Expression in Kontakt /Cubase 9 (f.e. 8 DIO Adagio Violins) to MIDI Expression Quattro Midiport, so that they correspond to CC 1 and CC 11?

Quick example: For me it would be important to play f.e. Violin Sustains with both hands and trigger CC 1 and sometimes CC1 + CC 11 with one Expression Pedal instead of using Modwheel.
I'm not entirely sure what you are after here. A single pedal can only control one CC at a time. You could have the pedal control CC1 and the change settings so that it controls CC11, but not both at the same time. Of course if you have two pedals, then you could have one control CC1 and the other control CC11 at the same time. I hope that helps.

Regards,
Rob
ImediaMP

Post by ImediaMP »

Thank you Rob,

let me try to explain. In Kontakt using Agitato Legato Violins f.e. you are able to link CC1 and CC 11 (Dynamics & Expression) together AND - if you want - you can separately assign both (CC 1 and CC 11). So basically I configure my Accuna 88 to assign CC 1 to my Expression Pedal. Then - if I link CC 1 and CC 11 in Kontakt together, I have full control over CC 1 (normally Modwheel) by using the Expression Pedal which helps using both hands to play accords and controlling dynamics of my stringparts. So I think this should be no problem with Midi Expression.

The main problem of Accuna 88 Expression Pedal is that it isn't very exact and there is no way to get a finetuning. The FV-500L has a very robust construction method and it has a better finetuning level. The playability is very nice - if it works togehter with your MIDI Controller (and yes you are right, FV-500L is wired differently. BUT you are able to switch - and it should work at all ... - but it doens't work flawlessly - no smooth linear increasing/decreasing expression is possible). I think the problem occurs to Accuna 88.

If I purchase tommorow - when does it arrive in germany?

Best - Markus
Last edited by ImediaMP on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImediaMP

Post by ImediaMP »

Just have forgotten something ...

Second scenario:
Is it possible to assign my FV-500L to CC 1 instead of Modwheel with your Plugin inside my DAW? Then I should be able to use CC 11 with Accuna Expression Pedal and CC 1 (instead of Modwheel) with FV-500L? That could give me full control over Expression and Dynamics only using my feet ...

Thanks - Markus
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If I were you, I would just plug both pedals into the MIDI Expression. The MIDI Expression inputs can detect the polarity of the pedals and will switch its internal polarity accordingly. Delivery to Germany takes about 17 days on average.

Regards,
Rob
ImediaMP

Post by ImediaMP »

Purchased with High Priority Shipping ...

Because we are an Advertising Agency - How do I'll get an Invoice? Shipped with MIDI Expression Quattro package?

BTW good tip to use your interface for all pedals ...!

Best - Markus
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ya, there's an invoice in the package. Btw, you won't need to use the plugin version of the control application. The regular standalone control application will serve you just fine.

Regards,
Rob
ImediaMP

Post by ImediaMP »

I'm really glad to solve my problems with my Expression Pedals and get rid of the advantages of FV-500L. It's an amazing built pedal with a smooth playability. And now it's possible ...

Hope, that an ultra fast shipping is on the way .... :lol:

Thanks for your support and I will report to you, how it works!

Have a nice 2.nd Christmas Day

Best - Markus