Trying to create a virtual organ from MIDI components

Hockeymanvt

Trying to create a virtual organ from MIDI components

Post by Hockeymanvt »

I have an Evolution MK-461-C keyboard with a USB connection, a Roland EV-5 Expression (volume) Pedal with a 1/4" phone jack a Studio Logic MP-117 pedal board with a MIDI cable connection and a M-audio MIDIsport 2X2. I will be buying an inexpensive midi keyboard to use as the lower organ keyboard. My problem is the expression pedal. Will one of your USB MIDI expression products work for my application. Where should it be connected so that ALL the keyboards and pedal board are controlled by the one pedal?
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Trying to create a virtual organ from MIDI components

Post by Rob »

HI,

If you only want to support the single expression pedal, it might just be easiest for you to by a keyboard with an expression pedal input already. Alternatively, the single input MIDI Expression might also serve you well.

The one thing I should point out is that you are going to end up with a lot of MIDI devices to control a single virtual instrument. Are you going to be running all of this in a DAW such as Cubase or are you going to be using a standalone virtual organ application?
Hockeymanvt

Post by Hockeymanvt »

I have three stand alone organ simulation software apps that are great. So I will continue to use those. My concern about buying a keyboard with an expression input is that it SEVERELY limits the number of potential keyboards and makes it more expensive. I was hoping to buy something that would open up my keyboard options.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

So, back to your original question. Assuming there is a master fader or knob for the organ applications, then you should have no problem using a MIDI Expression to control it. Any of the MIDI Expression products would serve you well...

Regards,
Rob
Hockeymanvt

Post by Hockeymanvt »

Midi Expression USB Pedal interface is clearly the most economical solution. Given the devises I have, how should I connect it? Do I need some other component to make it work the way I intend?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Shouldn't need anything else. Just connect all the devices, then head into the MIDI settings for the organ software and make sure all the devices are enabled.

With an expression pedal, the MIDI Expression will automatically send CC7 which, depending on the software, will likely already be set to control master volume.

Regards,
Rob
Hockeymanvt

Post by Hockeymanvt »

Thank you for your patience! I think I understand now. The Midi info does not need to be "daisy chained". The controlling software will assign the separate data to a specific task. I will buy a pedal controller, a second keyboard and begin. Thanks again for your help.