Site Admin

Re: The Vangelis Technique - and Support Question - Device Enumeration

Post by Rob »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (60.5 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Ok.. brilliant... So here is my question...

whats the best way to hard code each pedal to a specific keyboard since i will have 6 of them.. NOTE i'm on windows..
The CME X-keys come up i think as generic.. then they get enumerated as xkey, xkey (2) xkey (3) etc i think.
Now if i pull them out and plug them in again. will i have to redo the routing? They are configured to talk for example on specific midi channels
xkey 1 =ch1 xkey 2 = ch 2 etc.. that is had coded into their firmware using their utility..

Now once i setup the 3 pedal controllers as i outlined before... I assume for nuendo or vienna for that matter to see them all i need to route things ..
whats the best way to do that.. you mentioned midi filtering in nuendo/cubase... would i then filter out midi for each device so they only transmit to the designated channels?

More importantly... what happens when windows messes that up and renumerates the devices when i for example unplug and plug in the various keyboards? will it break all the routing each time?
Do i just do the routing here?

http://oi59.tinypic.com/ddoumb.jpg

Or using the input transformer? or do i need to do both to create an end to end isolated midi tunnel as it were with each pedal?

1- define pedal port quadro 1 > cc 64 - ch 1
2- setup routing in cubase midi learn that pedal
3- then on my tracks do a global midi input transform passing midi ch 1 direct to that track

Are all 3 steps needed.. ?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I see your problem. You have no guarantee that your keyboards will enumerate in the correct order.

What I suggest is finding a way to merge all your keyboard data into a single MIDI Input (maybe this is something Bome's translator can do). From there setup six MIDI tracks in Nuendo and set them up to all get the same merged MIDI keyboard data. Using the Transformer plugin setup on each MIDI track, filter out everything except for the specific channel and then send that to the respective instrument.

As the Quattros, it would probably be easiest for you to use host automation (generic remote) so that you don't have to deal with more creative MIDI Routing.

Regards,
Rob
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Yeah..its rather nuts isn't it now that you see my issue..
Sadly i'm tempted to pay a bit more and grab the xkey 37 key series..
That has a buit in xport which then lets you attach the pedals right to the xey's themselves.

I will let you know.. physical hardware connection might just be easier to deal with. Then all i need to route are the keyboards and the korg units.
Thank you for all your help.. Im still on the fence about how best to do this but i think i know enough now to try it and see.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

The title of this thread caught my eye.. I have built a similar system for realtime control. Mine is on a Mac with Digital Performer. I use 2 Quatros, and I'm about to get a third. My situation is different because I have only one keyboard controller with one MIDI channel, that is routed to many virtual instruments at the same time, via switchable device groups inside of DP. I have DP in multi record mode, so I can have each expression pedal going to the separate instruments, merging with the note input. So if I have eight expression pedals that I want to use on eight different instruments, I will record nine tracks- one MIDI track for the notes, and eight more for just expression/controls. Just another way of doing it..

I need another MIDI Expression Quatro because I need more switches and sequence triggers, and also I plan to put a second keyboard controller in the system for solo instruments, at some point.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I ended up changing tackts a bit... I grabbed 6 of the xkey 37 keybaords.. those have the x-port option which has express and sustain pedal 1/4 in. inputs and midi out.. so that way i can attach them directly.. just makes it a bit simpler in my workflow.. But what i was going to run into was that each quatro would look the same eventually as i added more and more of them..

http://adriaantaylor.com/files/vangelisv3.pdf

My latest setup
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

And how have you resolved your enumeration issue?
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

i put in an order for 2 quadros .. however.. i just realized that i orderd 2 of the same color... am i screwed? too late to change..? or can we overwrite the firmware of one of them?
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

Rob wrote:And how have you resolved your enumeration issue?
I fixed the issue by using a MAC... LOL
Seems MacOS must look at controllers a bit deeper than windows and once you name them inside Audio/Midi setup... it can tell the difference!
Im guessing unlike windows MacOS sees the individual Serial numbers or something... Either way.. macOS handles it fine every time.