Expression iO compatibility with digital organ to iPad

pdxmcd

Expression iO compatibility with digital organ to iPad

Post by pdxmcd »

Hi, I'm just looking to confirm a technical matter before purchasing, but I'm not 100% confident I'll explain/describe the situation correctly, so please bear with me. I play a digital organ (MAG C-2) that lacks a sustain pedal input, but I want to use it to drive piano sounds in Korg Module Pro on an iPad, so I need that sustain pedal. Some time back I purchased a Footswitch Controller box from MIDI Solutions which seemed like it would work, but unfortunately it did not; I traced the problem to the fact that the organ sends only 3.3V over MIDI, while the box requires 5V and has no option for an external power supply.

I just learned of Audiofront and its products today (where have I been?!), and the MIDI Expression iO looks like the solution to my problem as it supports (requires?) a power supply, not to mention that it offers expression pedal input as well as sustain and other options to boot. But I just want to confirm (with the understanding of course that you're not able to test my setup directly and make any absolute guarantees): if I run the MIDI out of my organ to the MIDI in of the Expression iO (connected to power) and connect a sustain pedal, then run the MIDI out of the Expression iO to the MIDI in of my iPad setup, will that provide proper sustain pedal function? (If the Expression iO should be first in the MIDI chain for some reason, please let me know. I suppose that might allow me to use a sustain pedal with the organ as well, which it does support over MIDI.)

Thanks for tolerating this pretty basic question, and for parsing and/or redirecting as necessary.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Expression iO compatibility with digital organ to iPad

Post by Rob »

pdxmcd wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:27 pm
I just want to confirm (with the understanding of course that you're not able to test my setup directly and make any absolute guarantees): if I run the MIDI out of my organ to the MIDI in of the Expression iO (connected to power) and connect a sustain pedal, then run the MIDI out of the Expression iO to the MIDI in of my iPad setup, will that provide proper sustain pedal function?
That's how I would set it up. The external power is only required when not connecting the device via USB. You can also power the MIDI Expression using a USB phone charger.