Use Midi Expression w/expression pedal to control hi-hat with Keylab 88 drum pads

mshvan

Use Midi Expression w/expression pedal to control hi-hat with Keylab 88 drum pads

Post by mshvan »

Hi,

I've got the Midi expression pedal I use with an expression pedal, I use with my Arturia Keylab 88 - a keyboard I love, but it doesn't have aftertouch and the Midi Expression really solved that issue.

There's something I'd like to do. I set my sustain pedal to send a midi note for kick drum, so I can play kick with my foot (used to use a DrumKat but it's fritzed). I'd like to use it as a hihat controller—but the hihat controller for the DrumKat is just a on-off sustain pedal it uses for sending the open-closed notes. I'm not sure if I can do this with an expression pedal—I use Addictive Drums, Logic's Drums and ModoDrum, and they all have various samples of varying-open high hats. To be honest, I'm not sure I really need that level of detail, I'd be happy with just simple open or closed notes being sent. So, then, what I'd want is to be able to hit the hihat assigned drumpad on the Arturia Keylab, with that pad sending one midi not number when I have the physical expression pedal depressed (closed) and the midi note number for an open hihat when I have the physical pedal in the opposite position. That is, I'd like the position of the physical expression pedal to switch to which midi note I play on the drumpad, depending on position.

I've done a lot of searching and messing around, but it's either over my head, MIDI wise or just won't ever work like that. Thanks for any help.

-Michael
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Use Midi Expression w/expression pedal to control hi-hat with Keylab 88 drum pads

Post by Rob »

I think you would be best to have the sustain control MIDI CC4, which corresponds to the hihat foot controller. In this type of setup, the hihat cymbal sends the same note (variable tip note) and the sampler plays a different sound depending on the value of MIDI CC 4.