Standard volume pedal use

clintjo21

Standard volume pedal use

Post by clintjo21 »

Does the midi expression work with a standard guitar volume pedal.
The web info only says expression pedal, just need to be sure b4 ordering.
Also delivery time to Australia. Thanks.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Standard volume pedal use

Post by Rob »

Yes, MIDI Expression will work with standard volume pedals, but there are some things you should consider.

First, you will need to connect it the pedal using an insert cable. Take a look in the FAQ for a diagram and details. Secondly, the accuracy and resolution of the pedal depends on the impedance of the pot inside. In this regards, volume pedals are not standard. What pedal do you want to use? I can probably find out what kind of pot it uses and give you my opinion on how well it'll work.

Regards,
Rob
clintjo21

Post by clintjo21 »

Thanks, pedal I have is an old Ibanez one VL10...rare one. If you can recommend a
comparable brand I can purchase one as the Ibanez is on my guitar board so need to get
another for keyborad use anyway. Thanks again.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

That pedal has a 500k log pot inside it and likely wouldn't play well with MIDI Expression. MIDI Expression works best with 10k pots. There's a good thread about different pedals and the type of pots they have in them here:
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/for ... 9/1678997-

Here's a a quick list of the ones that would likely work well with MIDI Expression devices. This list is incomplete, but it's a good starting point. I would definitely stay away from any pedal that has pot greater than 50K.
Bespeco VM18L - 20k
Behringer FCV100 - 10k linear (expression pot)
Boss FV-500 - 10k linear (expression pot)
Boss EV-5 - 10k linear
Kurzweil CC-1 - 20k linear
Line6 EX-1 - 10k linear
Mission EP-L6 - 10k linear
M-Audio EX-P - 10k linear
Pigtronix EP-1 - 20k
Roland EV-5 - 10k linear
Note these are all expression pedals, however the Boss FV-500 and Behringer FCV100 do double duty allowing them to function as traditional volume pedasl and expression pedals.

Regards,
Rob
clintjo21

Post by clintjo21 »

Thanks for the comprehensive info Rob. I'll check out what is available here locally.
maxi73

Post by maxi73 »

Hello

I looked at this list above with the 10k/50k potentiometer info, but is it true that Behringer FCV100 is 10k when used as expression pedal only?
I mean.. at
https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_fcv ... epedal.htm
it says * Resistance of the potentiometer: 50 kOhm *

I am trying to figure out what expression pedals to buy for my MIDI Expression Quattro that I just ordered.
I might pick 3 or 4 Behringer FCV100, because they look like Yamaha FC7 but are half the price.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It most likely does have a 50k pot. I haven't actually measured it, but it certainly responds like a 50k. Although I haven't used it much (I have quite the army of pedals), it's seems mostly well build and in comparable to the FC7; it's roughly the same size and weight and is wired the same. Note that the minimum volume knob only applies to audio signals and doesn't work when it's used as an expression pedal.
Tsolight

Post by Tsolight »

Hello

I have yet another question before ordering, the concern is about potless and active volume pedals.

First of all, what i'm trying to achieve here is that sort of "kill two birds with one stone" thing, it may or may not work but i will sty try it anyways! :mrgreen:

1) i need a high quality (potless) volume pedal that i will be using for guitar
2) i want to use that same pedal as an expression pedal with the audiofront MIDI expression usb adaptor as well

After some tremendous online searching, listening and reading about active volume guitar pedals, i will be definitely going for one of these two high end custom made potless volume pedals that are currently available on the market:

- the Pro Guitar pedal by Hilton Electronics https://hiltonelectronics.com/pedals
- the Mono Volume by LEHLE https://lehle.com/EN/Lehle-Mono-Volume

both pedals are potless, the one by Hilton has a proprietary infrared sensor technology, the one by LEHLE has a friction-less magnetic sensor technology, both pedals are high quality custom built and both do sound just great for guitar / amp use.

Unfortunately, there is not much of technical/specs. description about the one by HILTON on their website, meanwhile the manual for the one by LEHLE states the following:

-Voltage: 9 - 15 V DC or 7 - 12 V AC
-Power consumption: 50 mA
-Frequency range: 50 Hz - 100 kHz (all controls in middle position)
-THD: < 0,05 % at 1 kHz, -10 dBu
-Impedance input: 2 MOhm
-Impedance output: 500 Ohm
-Signal-to-noise ratio: -102 dB at 1 kHz, 0 dBu A weighted (control in “unity gain“ position)
-Max level: 3 V RMS (ca. 12 dBu at 12 V input voltage)
-Gain control (max amplification): +10 dB

After reading the requirements for a standard volume pedal with max 50k pot, the question is, will either of these two active pedals perform well with the MIDI expression, since there are no pots in them ?

thank you
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

These obviously aren't 'standard' pedals in any way, and I can't be sure how they will preform You seem keen to try, though. There's not harm in giving it a go. If it doesn't work, you can just return the device to me for a full refund.

Regards,
Rob
Tsolight

Post by Tsolight »

Rob wrote:These obviously aren't 'standard' pedals in any way, and I can't be sure how they will preform You seem keen to try, though. There's not harm in giving it a go. If it doesn't work, you can just return the device to me for a full refund.

Regards,
Rob
thanks for your answer, Rob. the only way to find it out is to roll the dice.. 8-)

i will keep you posted on my findings.

regards,
D.