Triple pedal on Korg D1

DeclanH

Triple pedal on Korg D1

Post by DeclanH »

I've just ordered a midi expression-io. It looks to be a good device, and it works with Linux.
The plan is to use it on a Korg D1 with a triple pedal, both for playing the piano as is, and also when using the keyboard as a midi controller. The latter use for midi control looks to be fairly straightforward with the expression-io. But for the former I don't know whether it will work.
The Korg D1 only has a sustain pedal, so you would think that a triple pedal wouldn't work. But it looks like you can press a couple of buttons to allow external midi control, and that it can respond to external pedal signals while playing.

Attached is the midi chart for the D1. This is from p66 of the manual, and the midi control is described on pp 14-15.
A link to the manual https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /781/3818/
Will this work? Has anyone else done this?

Also some triple pedals have the three outputs on one or two jacks. Is it possible to duplicate or triplicate inputs with the software? This would allow the use of a triple pedal without splitters and patch cables.
MIDI-implementation-chart-KORG-D1
MIDI-implementation-chart-KORG-D1
image.png (157.95 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
GordonD

Re: Triple pedal on Korg D1

Post by GordonD »

Did you try it Declan?

It looks like the D1 would recognize a triple pedal via MIDI In (CC 64,66,67). MIDI filter disabled seems to be the D1's default setting if that's what CC Filter oFF means in the D1 manual. So you don't need to press any buttons to allow external midi control.

Did you connect the MIDI Expression's MIDI Out to the D1 MIDI In?

Which triple pedals did you use? The Roland RPU-3 pedals are the only ones I could find with three 1/4" jacks. All the others had only one or two 1/4" jacks or a single mini-DIN or some other non-standard connector.