MIDI expression vs. eDRUMin

brandon

MIDI expression vs. eDRUMin

Post by brandon »

I have a bit of a noob question.

I see that the MIDI expression hardware has the option for changing inputs to note mode.

I'm looking at plugging in electronic drum pads where I will be triggering electronic samples only at 100% velocity.

Is it possible to use the MIDI expression like that in note mode? I only ask because eDRUMin hasn't been in stock for a while and need a solution for this asap.

Thanks y'all
brave_kilby

Re: MIDI expression vs. eDRUMin

Post by brave_kilby »

You can change the *output* to note mode - ie, pressing a pedal plays a note instead of sending midi CC or program change message.

The input stays the same - pedals. It is not possible to use piezos with midi expression, as they use different voltages and are not compatible with pedal circuitery (page 5 of manual for reference). This is the same on edrumin - there are dedicated pedal and pad inputs, and you cannot interchange the 2.
brandon

Re: MIDI expression vs. eDRUMin

Post by brandon »

brave_kilby wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:00 pm
You can change the *output* to note mode - ie, pressing a pedal plays a note instead of sending midi CC or program change message.

The input stays the same - pedals. It is not possible to use piezos with midi expression, as they use different voltages and are not compatible with pedal circuitery (page 5 of manual for reference). This is the same on edrumin - there are dedicated pedal and pad inputs, and you cannot interchange the 2.
ah makes sense. thanks for taking the time to explain.