HiHat level mode midi filter - is it possible?

manktelow

HiHat level mode midi filter - is it possible?

Post by manktelow »

Is it possible to use a midi filter on the midi expression (I have the 3 input version) to translate a single midi note received from the midi input based on the position of a hi-hat pedal. Similar to the hihat level mode in the eDrumIn?

Background:
I have an SPD-20 Pro connected to the midi in of the midi expression, and a Roland hihat controller on input 1. And I would like to replace the note from one of the pads with either hi-hat closed, or hi-hat open notes depending on the position of the pedal. So that I can trigger VSTs that just map the different sounds to different notes (e.g. the drums from Spitfire Audio Labs).

Also - would this be useful for anybody else - or is it just me :D
Rob
Site Admin

Re: HiHat level mode midi filter - is it possible?

Post by Rob »

No, sorry that's not possible. You would need an eDRUMin to do that, and even then, both the hihat cymbal and the pedal would need to be connected to the eDRUMin.
manktelow

Re: HiHat level mode midi filter - is it possible?

Post by manktelow »

Thanks Rob - perhaps this could be added as an update at some point in the future? (I'd be interested to know if it's technically possible - even if it's not planned).

With working from home I don't have room for my e-drum kit at the moment, so I'm using the SPD-20 with a kick pedal and hi-hat pedal as a mini kit. So using an external pad with an eDrumIn isn't an option. The MIDI Expression handles the hi-hat controller as it's much better at that than the SPD-20 :)