Trigger multiple CCs using switch pedal

rflob

Trigger multiple CCs using switch pedal

Post by rflob »

Hello,

I have just found out about the MIDI Expression iO, and it may be exactly what I need.

I am primarily planning to use the device in standalone mode. I have read the manual, but I have some trouble figuring out if it is possible to use a connected switch pedal (say a sustain pedal) to actually trigger multiple MIDI-messages when it is pressed, and another set of messages when it is released? Say, to trigger NRPN operations, one would need to send a CC#99, then CC#98, and lastly the CC for the particular NRPN. Is this possible to trigger? I see NRPN is described in the chapter on expression pedals, but I do not find it mentioned for sustain pedals.

Thank you!
Last edited by rflob on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Trigger multiple CCs using switch pedal

Post by Rob »

NRPN is supported for expression pedals, but it should be trivial to add support for using them with switches as well. I have a look aty.code and get back to you.
rflob

Post by rflob »

Any news on this? 😀
The new Expression iO looks stellar by the way.

I don't know what would be constrained by the memory/hardware of the unit, but what would really be useful is to have support for a switch to trigger small bulks of MIDI messages, say like up to 10 messages of varying kind (just to pick a number) on each press/release. Support for NRPN would be enough for my current use-case, but generic support for small bulks of MIDI messages would be nice to have to cater for any future creative ideas 😁 Say you want to use a switch to enable/disable an arpeggiator and at the same time tweak an envelope, or something like that, to tweak the sound for when the arpeggiator is on or off.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I looked into NRPN for switches, and the only thing holding me back at this moment id finding room on the UI. What were you hoping to do? Used as an on / off switch, or in an increment / decrement mode?
image.png
image.png (136.29 KiB) Viewed 808 times
I'll think about your request for macros. I might be willing to allow switches send chunks of raw MIDI data in hex format. Not exactly user friendly, but would get the job done in an efficient matter.
rflob

Post by rflob »

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, as an on/off switch fits my intended use of it.

In fact, you can actually see how I am currently using a Gordius LG2 for this:
https://github.com/runeflobakk/gordius/ ... #L882-L890

Code: Select all

* EFFECT   : MiKorg Arp Gate
+ 16 CC    099 000
+ 16 CC    098 010
+ 16 CC    006 127
- 16 CC    099 000
- 16 CC    098 010
- 16 CC    006 084
The listing shows how which CCs are assigned to a momentary switch type setup. Pressing the switch (three first CCs prefixed '+'), will send three CCs on channel 16: 099 000, 098 010, 006 127, and similar for releasing the switch (the last three CCs prefixed '-').
Sustain pedal is connected to the LG2, and it triggers the MIDI sent to a Microkorg to switch between arpeggiator gate values, 127 when pressed (i.e. the arpeggiator plays "legato"), and 84 when released (there is some "space" between each arp note).

This works great for what I need, but as I am not the one playing the Microkorg in my band, I'd actually rather have a sustain pedal connected to a small device (e.g. a MIDI Expression iO) more "local" to the Microkorg instead of having this "loop" through my large Gordius LG2 unit, and then back to the MIDI-IN on the Microkorg.

And what makes the MIDI Expression iO seem like a match made in heaven is its ability to merge the MIDI generated from connected switch(es) with MIDI received on its MIDI DIN-port, as the Microkorg is also synced to an external MIDI clock.
rflob

Post by rflob »

Additionally, I should mention that our default setup for the sustain pedal for the Microkorg is this:
https://github.com/runeflobakk/gordius/ ... #L866-L874

Code: Select all

* EFFECT   : MiKORG Sus+Latch
+ 16 CC    099 000
+ 16 CC    098 004
+ 16 CC    006 127
+ 16 CC    064 127
- 16 CC    064 000
- 16 CC    099 000
- 16 CC    098 004
- 16 CC    006 000
This is to send both the familiar sustain CC 064 for sustain on/off, but also the NRPN to toggle the arpeggiator latch on/off, as the Microkorg does not "hold" the arpeggiator pattern going when receiving a simple sustain on MIDI CC message, and it seemed like a nice "pinciple of least suprprise" kind of default to have. So there is an example of sending small bulks of messages with a switch pedal as well :)
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Thanks you the clear explanation of what you are after. I'm busy this week with other things, but I'll at very least add support for sustain type pedals to send NRPN.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

By the way, by using all three instances of the MIDI Transformer built into the iO, you should be able to send your sustain and NRPN as is without needing any changes to the firmware.

Rob
rflob

Post by rflob »

Interesting! I need to read up on the transformer.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've almost got it, but it looks like there's a bug I need to fix and an issue with setting CC99 to 0. I'll post again when I get it working properly.
image.png
image.png (56.55 KiB) Viewed 778 times