Unit inquiry and compatibility recommendations

Ash

Unit inquiry and compatibility recommendations

Post by Ash »

Hello Rob,
Thanks for creating such wonderful gear!

I’m interested in either purchasing either your Midi expression iO or Midi expression Quattro for the purpose of controlling VSTs in Ableton Live 9.

I’m looking for at least two expression pedals (up to 4) to control various parameters (expression, volume, vibrato..) of the Spitfire Albion orchestra samples using Kontakt within Ableton Live 9. What I’d like to do is use up to 4 expression pedals (or two expression and 2 volume) and to have hands free for other things like on the keyboard/s.

My current set up is:

- Boss FV-500-H expression pedal - stereo Jack -
- Kawai PM9500 stage piano -
- Korg triton rack - midi cables in/out to Miditech Midiface 4x4 - USB -
- Macbookpro (high Sierra 10.13.6)
- Motu - 8pre ES Interface
- AKAI APC 40MK2 midi controller

The Kawai MP9500 is an old keyboard and I’ve just learned that it’s not compatible with the Boss FV-500-H. (the pedal is difficult to control because the volume suddenly jumps in the middle and is not smooth and consistent when I press from minimum to maximum.) Also the Roland EV-5 (on your compatibility list) could be problematic for my setup because of the wrong pin assignment (?).

I’m assuming I’d just plug either the Midi expression Quattro into a USB hub and assign each pedal accordingly to each channel?

Which Unit would you recommend I buy for my set up above?
And which kind of pedals would you recommend for the smoothest functionality?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Ashley
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Unit inquiry and compatibility recommendations

Post by Rob »

Hi Ashley,

Both the Quattro and the iO would serve you well. The biggest advantage of the iO is the ability to send / receive and process MIDI directly to other MIDI hardware via the MIDI in/out DINS. It's much more versatile.
Ash wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:41 pm
I don't know enough about this pedal. I understand it's an volume / expression pedal combo. I know the 'H' stand for HIGH impedance, but I'm not sure if the volume / expression functionality share the same pot or if it has separate pots inside. According to feedback from users, the pedal works fine, but I can't personally guarantee that.
Ash wrote:
Also the Roland EV-5 (on your compatibility list) could be problematic for my setup because of the wrong pin assignment (?).
MIDI Expression works fine for both Roland and Yamaha style wiring. Boss pedals use Roland style wiring so that explains why it's not working with your gear. Any pedal designed to work with your keyboards will also work with MIDI Expression devices.
Ash wrote:
I’m assuming I’d just plug either the Midi expression Quattro into a USB hub and assign each pedal accordingly to each channel?
Yes, you just use the control application...very straight forward.
Ash wrote:
Stay away from the MGear/ M-Audio EX-P. The pot inside it is crap. The Moog EP-3 is a great choice. It's very sturdy and has a good amount of mechanical resistance so it feels super smooth. It's also compatible with your gear, so you would have more options. Remember that you get what you pay for.
Ash

Re: Unit inquiry and compatibility recommendations

Post by Ash »

Rob wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:25 am
Hi Ashley,

Both the Quattro and the iO would serve you well. The biggest advantage of the iO is the ability to send / receive and process MIDI directly to other MIDI hardware via the MIDI in/out DINS. It's much more versatile.
Ash wrote:
I don't know enough about this pedal. I understand it's an volume / expression pedal combo. I know the 'H' stand for HIGH impedance, but I'm not sure if the volume / expression functionality share the same pot or if it has separate pots inside. According to feedback from users, the pedal works fine, but I can't personally guarantee that.
Ash wrote:
Also the Roland EV-5 (on your compatibility list) could be problematic for my setup because of the wrong pin assignment (?).
MIDI Expression works fine for both Roland and Yamaha style wiring. Boss pedals use Roland style wiring so that explains why it's not working with your gear. Any pedal designed to work with your keyboards will also work with MIDI Expression devices.
Ash wrote:
Yes, you just use the control application...very straight forward.
Ash wrote:
Stay away from the MGear/ M-Audio EX-P. The pot inside it is crap. The Moog EP-3 is a great choice. It's very sturdy and has a good amount of mechanical resistance so it feels super smooth. It's also compatible with your gear, so you would have more options. Remember that you get what you pay for.

Hi Rob,
Thanks alot for these helpful replies. I've just ordered a bunch of pedals and will test them on the keyboard. Depending how that goes, I'll get back to you about grabbing an iO. Thanks again!
Cheers, Ash