MIDI Expression iO Vs. Quatrro

60s Pop Man

MIDI Expression iO Vs. Quatrro

Post by 60s Pop Man »

Greeting from the USA!

I'm ready to make a purchase.

Can the MIDI Exression iO be bus powered from a computer (M1 Mac Mini) or a powered hub (ACASIS USB 3.0 Hub with 12V power adapter) or is the 9V power supply required?

Can the MIDI I-O on the iO be used as MIDI patch bay to connect a MIDI controller with MIDI connectors to the computer via the iO?

Can the Quattro be bus powered from a computer or powered USB hub?

I have a Yamaha FC-7 and Proline Standard expression pedals and a footswitch that I want to use with Cubase 11. Thinking of adding a sustain pedal as well.

Best wishes for the ongoing success of your very useful products.
Last edited by 60s Pop Man on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
60s Pop Man

Re: MIDI Expression iO Vs. Quatrro

Post by 60s Pop Man »

So much good news to report!

The MIDI Expression iO (ME iO) is powered by my powered USB hub which is connected to a silicon Mac, an M1 Mac Mini running macOS Big Sur 11.4.

MIDI Expression YELLOW appears in the macOS Audio MIDI Setup (AMS) utility as a class compliant MIDI device.
My Roland GI-20 MIDI guitar converter connected to the ME iO MIDI ports is recognized by the macOS AMS utility and by Cubase 11 and other music applications. Fantastic!!!

I connected a Yamaha FC-7 expression pedal which is known for its reverse polarity: When connected to the Roland GI-20, a few degrees of pedal movement moves through the entire controller range of 0 to 127. I have to use two Y-chords attached with Tip going to Ring, and Ring going to Tip in order to have full controller range evenly distributed throughout the full pedal range of motion.

As advertised, when the FC-7 is connected to the ME iO the polarity is managed automatically. Brilliant!!!

The MIDI Expression app works on my silicon M1 Mac Mini.
All connected pedals are recognized in the app: the FC-7, a ProLine expression pedal (with normal polarity) as well as my Boss FS-7 Dual Footswitch.
I changed the FC-7 expression pedal from sending CC#7 to CC#1 in the app and it worked.

Finally, the additional cost of the EMS shipping was well worth it. I placed the order on July 3, it shipped on July 4, and arrived on the east coast USA today, July 6.

I'm incredibly impressed with the functionality of the MIDI Expression iO.

Cheers
Rob
Site Admin

Re: MIDI Expression iO Vs. Quatrro

Post by Rob »

I had missed your original post. Glad you are happy with your purchase!