MIDI expression iO

gwillimw

MIDI expression iO

Post by gwillimw »

Hi Rob - I'm normally play keyboard controllers through a MacBook for samples and use your USB devices, but I'm looking to do a setup with keyboard only, and there's only one pedal port on this particular model (Yamaha p515). If I want to operate more pedals, would the iO expression device do the trick? The keyboard has MIDI IN/OUT ports.

Also, is there a general estimate on shipping to Toronto these days? I'd be looking to get one of these in the next two weeks.

Cheers,
Wayne
Rob
Site Admin

Re: MIDI expression iO

Post by Rob »

You'll have to check with the p515 manual to make sure it can be controlled by CCs coming from it's MIDI port, but I assume it would indeed do the trick. Free (registered airmail) to Canada is extremely slow sometimes 1-2 month. I highly recommend using EMS shipping.

Rob
gwillimw

Post by gwillimw »

Thanks Rob, I'll check in w/Yamaha
gwillimw

Post by gwillimw »

Alternatively, would I be able to somehow connect a standard MIDI expression device to the p515 keyboard via its USB-to-host port, since the keyboard supports USB-MIDI? I saw online some adaptors to go from a mini-USB port to a USB-type B port (the square-ish type).

Happy to ask others on the forum if this isn't a tried-and-true approach. '

Thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

It looks likes there's a USB-A poet of the device. You need to inquire with Yamaha to see if you can plug a USB MIDI device in there.
gwillimw

Post by gwillimw »

Yes, there is a USB-to-device port on the front that's USB-A. I think it's is only for audio/MIDI file playback/storage. The manual says the port supports USB flash drives, hubs, and wireless LAN adaptors. I'll give it a shot. And in the meanwhile, I'll check to see if anyone else has had luck connecting to the USB-to-host (type B) port.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Don't waste your time researching the USB B port. That's definitely not going to work.
gwillimw

Post by gwillimw »

Ah, got it.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I just took a look at the manual and indeed you cannot connect a USB MIDI device to the Yamaha p515. I honestly don't know how these big name brands get away with being so lazy. It's not rocket science to support USB MIDI devices. It's just laziness.
gwillimw

Post by gwillimw »

Indeed, very frustrating. This model came out only 2/3 years ago, and costs $1500USD. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll order the iO version.