Foot Piano

joshebosh

Re: Foot Piano

Post by joshebosh »

actually I've not yet tried changing usb hubs just yet... i've got to pay off the credit card for this project before putting more money into it... but it's still on my list of things to try next... will just take a few pay periods before I get there...
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'll leave a Quattro connected with four pedals setup to trigger notes for a couple of days and play with it whenever I have a moment to make sure it's not just magically getting disconnected.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

Hey Rob, I got that beefy usb hub, and discovered the issue is not so random, but the problem remains... so I happen to discover the problem appears to be that I have two red boxes (Red single, and Red Quattro), and they are randomly conflicting... both with the same name "RED" when plugged in individually... FL Studio will usually mark the single as "RED #2" as it's slowest to connect it connect it seems... I looked in ME configuration but did not see a way to changed names at all... So sometimes they both work, but most time one red doesn't work upon initial pluggin in hub to computer... but it's guarunteed that when the RED quattro or RED single stop working, I just have to unplug the working one, and the non-working one begins working again automatically, leading me to believe some where in the OS usb software, ME firmare, or FL Studio, they're holding both holding the same name... often times either is discovered to not work, I'll just unplug and replug, and they both work, but they wont both stay working forever... Maybe that's not how USB subsystems work at all, but that's the latest findings...

I just got the USB Hub today, so I'm monitoring things for awhile (without the RED single involved) to see if the remaining 6 colored Quattros will continuted to be connected when I come back to the computer in an hour or so... If all 24 pedals hit fine, then it's gotta be a naming convention issue when using two ME's of the same color...
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

so i'm leaning toward naming conventions at this point... I check an hour later, and then again another hour after that, the six color quattro's stayed connected... tomorrow I'll tinker with the two reds together over various points of time, leaving other non-reds disconnected... see what happens...
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

so for what's it's worth the two red definitely conflict somehow... I'm unsure if it's Window, ME's, or FL Stuidio...
Experimenting with only the RED ME's, When I plug in the USB Hub, the two RED ME's do not work. I have unplug one red, plug back in, then both RED's appear to work... Do you purpose any kind of fix for this?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The two red devices will use the same driver in Windows and so Windows and any applications that use MIDI will have a hard rime differentiating the two. It's for this reason I made it so that each color will be recognized as a sperate device.

Even with this limitation, having two red devices plugged in at the same time shouldn't be an issue. A would say the problem is most likely with FL.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

Are you willing to make this usb field "bus reported device description" editable via the ME app?
mmc_tqkdfUXj52.png
mmc_tqkdfUXj52.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Windows differentiates USB devices by their Product ID. The first time you connect a device it reads the device name and associates that with the Product ID. If you somehow changed the name of the device after you connected it the first time, Windows would still use the original name. The only way for two devices to have different names it for the devices to have different Product IDs.

The number of different Product IDs is limited. I'm already using 6 different IDs, one for each color of the device I make and I would be abusing my rights with PJRC (owner of the Vendor ID) by using more. Sorry, I'm not going to make any changes in this regard.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

Thanks for the honest reply Rob... Makes absolute sense... I think after many months of effort, your product is among the best available, cause it's easy and allows highly custom builds... My project wouldnt have been possible without your ME boxes... This past week I tried some Keith McMillan 12-Step pedals, but ended up returning them, cause they dont come close the custom 25 pedals I build with your ME's, nor did they come close to the AGO 32 pedals, which having centuries in foot space perfecting, which I re-outfitted with a new hall effect midi kit... So the AGO pedalboard will serve as the melody pedals, and my/your custom ME pedalboard will serve as the drums... All in all there will be more than enough pedals to keep my feet busy... I'll probably rework the ME's and incorporate them around the AGO for a multi-tier pedalboard. Perhaps I'll send more pics when I complete the vision... Thanks again for all your effort in creating the ME's, they are a fantastic creation of genious :-) Talk to you later...
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

Hey Rob,

So I've been working with the QuattroME and Sustain pedels for awhile now...
I'm growing discontent with the inability to have velocity sensitive drum pedals...
Using the sustain pedal are always hit at the same velocity...

I was looking at your edrumin sets, and the 4 port only has one foot pedal port, and 10 ports only has two pedal ports...
I'd want to have 10 velocity sensitive foot pedals at my feet to fire midi events to FL Studio...
But will that work with edrumin box? I need to know before purchasing...
If I buy the 10 ports edrumin, can I hook up 10 foot pedals to it? or will the hat ports not work with foot pedals?

I bought the Kat KT-HC1 for $50, and used the ME, but that stupid pedal turned out to be just a switch, exactly like my sustain pedels...
I aslo bought Yamaha KU100, but I think that was another crappy waste of money, cause I cannot get it work right with the ME's either...

Will the edrumin box provide pedal velocity functionality i'm looking for? If so, what pedals would work for all the ports?
Since my hands busy on the piano, I dont need hi-hat/tom equipment, I can simply program whatever I need...
My trouble at this point, is finding a "more than two" pedal solution for my feet...

What do you recommend?