Foot Piano

Rob
Site Admin

Re: Foot Piano

Post by Rob »

Great pics. I'm sure it's awesome to play.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

Hey Rob, I have an issue where a random pedal will get stuck on the opposite state... generally you push down to generate a note, but after some time a pedal will flip itself where taking foot off now send on note, on and pushing down send off note... no ryhme or reason that i can determine yet... i have to unplug to reset it. I have latest firmware on the devices. You have any idea what's causing this? or how to mitigate?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If that's with FC3-A, then you can try the following:

1. Disable 'Sense' by clicking on the expression pedal icon
2. Set 'Polarity' to Yamaha.
3. Click 'Invert'.

This is assuming you are using the very latest firmware.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

actually these are just with $10 (x25) Casio SP-3 sustian pedals for now... dont yet have the money for $40 (x25) FC3A...
So I've turned off the sense for all individual pedals... we'll see if that helps solve the reversing effect...

And I'm having another problem... Where sometimes the ME's will quit working...
A couple days i had all 7 ME's plugged into a 7 port HUB, and a single random ME all four pedeals would stop working...
I figured may been a power problem so I split them into two USB hubs...
Current setup is daisy chain like this

Code: Select all

(x4) ME ---> 7port Hub --->|
                                        | 7port HUB ---> Computer
                       (x3) ME --->|
I'm gonna try it like this to see if it helps to connect them individually to computer...

Code: Select all

(x4) ME ---> 7port Hub ---> Computer
(x3) ME ---> 7port HUB ---> Computer
I only have two USB3.0 ports on my laptop...
You got people reporting problems with using USB hubs on ME's? Or am I first to use so many ME in conjunction like this?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've got no reports of problems using hubs. Mind you not many people using so many devices together. Shouldn't be a power problem. Each device only uses about 35 mA. How long is your USB cable from your computer to the HUB?

In regards to the the polarity being flipped, make sure you aren't pressing any of the pedals when the devices are powered up. During the first few milliseconds the MIDI Expression is detecting if the switches are normally closed or normally open and if you're pressing on during that time, it'll get confused.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

Ok well now I'm alittle more upset. Dude, buyng 6 ME's were not cheap, and so far it seems like the ME stop sending notes...
My USB cables are 6 feet long... enough to go from floor to laptop on desk...
I put each ME on it's own midi channel...
I finally got a screen recording where pedals stop sending notes... I was in FL Studio, it's stops generating sound, so i closed it, and opened MIDI-OX to see it would see the notes, and from I can see, the ME is recognizing that pedal being pressed, but the ME is not sending notes..
see here:
O0l5MVZkh9.gif
O0l5MVZkh9.gif (71.39 KiB) Viewed 453 times
and there selected for note monitoring
midiox_UcAXBOTLdF.png
midiox_UcAXBOTLdF.png (15.4 KiB) Viewed 452 times
I'm really hoping this can get fixed, because I like these things, and I want to buy even more... but at this point, they keep konking out for unknown reason...
I'm still going through various troubleshoot techniques to determine, if this is FL, ME, USB, or Laptop related... I've not given up hope yet...
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm pretty sure the issue isn't with the MIDI Expression or I probably would have heard about it already, but I will try to reproduce the issue and think about what else might be causing the problem.

Just to be clear, you are saying that one device or all the devices stop sending notes?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Can you try going to the firmware section and disabling the keyboard interface? Change it to MIDI + Control.
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

I'm somewhat suspicious of the two usb hubs I have... I'm thinking about getting a single larger hub...
So bottom 12 notes (3 ME) on a hub, top 13 notes (4 ME) on a hub... It's intermittent... Sometimes the combos of failure are:
Bottom half go out...
Top half go out...
A single ME in will out in either half...
a couple ME will go out on one half...
a couple will go out on both half...
All ME will stop working...
All ME will stop working except one...
So it's really random, and I"ve not established a behavior pattern or issue trigger yet...
I'm sure if keep tinkering I'll establish a baseline...
First, I'm thinking I need to start with new bigger, higher quality USB hub...

I'll try your next suggestion...

What are the chances your ME interface can add a dropdown or similar so I can see all 7 ME's? That would be a plus...
joshebosh

Post by joshebosh »

ok what do you make of this...
I came in this morning, (everything powered down since last night), turn station, boot up computer, and the first apps I open is midi-ox and ME Control to check things after fresh startup...
Again, ME recognizes that pedal is pushed, but ME not sending note...

Do you think this is computer, usb, midi-ox, or ME issue?
p7rhoSxbvP.gif
p7rhoSxbvP.gif (133.38 KiB) Viewed 477 times