Control of individual MIDI channels with MIDI Expression IO connected to a Strymon Timeline

twotoneblue

Control of individual MIDI channels with MIDI Expression IO connected to a Strymon Timeline

Post by twotoneblue »

Hello everyone,

I am really green when it comes to MIDI, so after reading the web pages and some in the manual I need to confirm a possible usage scenario for the MIDI Expression IO:

I have a dual axis expression pedal and would thus connect to inputs 1 and 2 with 2 TRS cables on the MIDI Expression IO. The MEIO would be in stand-alone mode and powered by a phone charger. The MIDI Out will be connected to the MIDI In on the Strymon Timeline (which supports SysEx).

1)
If I have understood correctly, the MIDI Expression IO can generate value ranges derived from the movement of the expression pedal(s) connected to inputs 1 - 2 (even modulated such response curves) and send them to MIDI Out individually and on different MIDI channels. This would enable the control of two different parameters on the Timeline. Is this correct?

2)
If the above should not be enough, what are the possibilities to control even more parameters with the dual axis/double expression pedal (except for using input 3 + a hardware switch between e.g. 2/3)? Could other actions on the pedal, such as a long press induce a MIDI Program Change and make the Timeline jump to another parameter?

Thanks very much for your answers and/or corrections.

best regards
Åsmund
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Control of individual MIDI channels with MIDI Expression IO connected to a Strymon Timeline

Post by Rob »

twotoneblue wrote: 1)
If I have understood correctly, the MIDI Expression IO can generate value ranges derived from the movement of the expression pedal(s) connected to inputs 1 - 2 (even modulated such response curves) and send them to MIDI Out individually and on different MIDI channels. This would enable the control of two different parameters on the Timeline. Is this correct?
The MEiO can certainly send two different pedals on two different channels, or more likely you'd want to use the same channel and simply different CC values. I'm not clear on what you are asking when you say "even modulated such response curves". Perhaps you're asking if each pedal can have its response curve? If that's the case, yes.
2)
If the above should not be enough, what are the possibilities to control even more parameters with the dual axis/double expression pedal (except for using input 3 + a hardware switch between e.g. 2/3)? Could other actions on the pedal, such as a long press induce a MIDI Program Change and make the Timeline jump to another parameter?
Again I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Using a 3rd pedal, you could either use it to send some other kind of MIDI messages, or perhaps use it to change the MIDI Channel of the your other two pedals, thus allowing you to use them to control other parameters in Storyline.

Regards,
Rob
twotoneblue

Re: Control of individual MIDI channels with MIDI Expression IO connected to a Strymon Timeline

Post by twotoneblue »

Hi Rob,

Sorry for my muddled language! Still, you got both my ideas right - even the bit about the curves! (linear for one pedal, exponential on for another, etc)

Looks like the MIDI Expression IO is the box for me!

Thanks very much for your prompt response!

best regards
Åsmund