Jazz Swirls & Sweeps, Nylon brushes?

Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com

Jazz Swirls & Sweeps, Nylon brushes?

Post by Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com »

Hi,

It's my first post here so let me start by saying how happy I am that I found this software. I was shopping for a TD-12 to upgrade my TD-9 for positional sensing so can't wait to try that.

My question is, I know the some roland modules support playing the pads with nylon brushes and even brush swirls and sweep. Did anyone experiment with brushes and DSP Trigger. Can it achieve something close to good jazz swirls and feel natural. I think if that can be achieved than it would really be impressive.

A tutorial about that would be great!
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Jazz Swirls & Sweeps, Nylon brushes?

Post by Rob »

There is no sweep or swirl detection in DSP Trigger, but that is not to say you can't use it to play jazz. I think with any drum brain, you're going to have issues translating jazz sweeps and swirls into MIDI suitable for a sampler. John Emrich has a Youtube video for a workaround, you might want to have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh_M01Z ... ata_player
Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com

It seems possible to to it with the the TD-12 like on these videos. Do you think that it might be develloped in DSP trigger somewhere down the ligne. It's one of the main reasons I would want to work with a third party software like DSP trigger. I'm curently using a TD-9 module with superior drummer. The TD-9 does not support positional sensing so reason number one for DSP trigger but I'd love if it develloped a brush swirl support like some modules have.

Here's two examples where it seems to work well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gXIT2UXC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRekDXfDgIk
Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com

I juste got that from another forum :

"Roland modules use the microphonic output from the piezo for the drum brush sounds - so what you are hearing through the headphones IS the scratching of the brush on the mesh head. So it's not actually triggering brush samples for the sweep. It's REAL electronic drums, which is ironic considering that everything else in the V-drums sound engine is synthesised!"

http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/forum/topi ... _ID=112676

I dont know if it's true but it makes sense. I wish DSP Trigger worked that angle so it would work with 3rd party samplers like superior drummer.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Very interesting. I think that's a killer feature request. Being an audio plugin, DSP Trigger is well positioned to implement that feature and would give it a competitive advantage over hardware modules--brilliant! I can't say when I'll be able to implement it, but it sounds like it should be easy enough--it's just a reverse gate effect of sorts.

Regards,
Rob
Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com

Great! Very happy to hear that!
Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com

Keep me posted on devellepments! You'll definitely have a clear edge over alot of expensive modules out there if this feature works well.

I'm on tour for the next six months anyway but hopefully it will be a DSP Trigger feature when I get back to my studio!

Cheers!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

This feature has been developed and will be included in the next release.

Rob.
Fbeauvaisc@hotmail.com

Wow thanks real nice!
Paloha

Post by Paloha »

Hello Rob, do you have any video on how this feature works? I have not found any mention of this in the DSP Trigger manual nor in the videos. Thanks.