Yamaha PCY-155

millzners

Yamaha PCY-155

Post by millzners »

Hello,

I love the idea of this software, and I was really excited to try it out with my new Yamaha PCY-155. However I have the following problem:

Steps:
Plug in the PCY-155 with piezo on the left and the ribbon switches on the right audio channels
I open the software and select PCY-155 as the pad type
I enable calibration
I hit the bow of the pad hard

Symptoms:
Bow hits do not trigger the bow, it triggers the bell or edge regardless of stereo/mono configuration; bow piezo is plugged in on the left audio channel. The meter shows a strong signal on the left audio channel and none on the right in stereo.

When I reverse the channels and hit the bow nothing is triggered, now there is now a strong signal on the right channel and none on the left. If I hit the bell or edge it will trigger the bell in this configuration.

When I hit the bell or edge a signal does show up on the right channel (without the channels reversed).

I've tried mono, stereo, reversing channels, polarity flip, and both generic pad and the PCY-155 pad types.

Am I missing something? It just seems as though the software is not interpreting the piezo signal on the left as a bow hit but rather a bell/edge.

Thanks!
millzners

Re: Yamaha PCY-155

Post by millzners »

Just to update, I found that to work around the problem I was able to just have dspTrigger redirect the midi notes to the correct articulations within my drum program. So when dspTrigger saw a bell hit (where I was actually hitting the bow) I would just send that bell hit to the bow articulation within BFD 2.0 with midi.

I'll submit the audio file of the hits and maybe it will help improve the support for the PCY-155 cymbal.

On a side note I also am using a roland mesh PD-85 and it works very well with dspTrigger, with much more reliable side stick triggers as compared to Alesis Trigger IO and some positional sensing to boot.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The preset for the PCY-155 was created using some samples that I had gotten from another user a couple years ago. If you are interested in sending me more data, I could definitely improve support for it.

In regards to the the articulations being mixed up, enabling 'flip phase' should take care of that. You said you tried that so I'll have a look to make sure there's no bug there.

BTW, it's normal for the 'switches' to produce almost no sound. Only the piezo is used to determine the articulation. In some cymbal types the the switches can be used to detect chocking, but I can't recall in the PCY-155 type supports that. If you're interested in recording samples for me, send me an email to

support at audiofront dot net

I'll outline what I'd need from you. If your willing to do the sampling and a bit of testing, I can promise good results.

Rob.

Rob
millzners

Post by millzners »

Thank you!

I'll be submitting some samples tonight. I purchased the software so I'm committed now :D

To your point, the polarity inversion does fix the problem when working with the generic pad preset, where the edge and bow are triggered well. The bell will not trigger in this configuration.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

millzners wrote:To your point, the polarity inversion does fix the problem when working with the generic pad preset, where the edge and bow are triggered well. The bell will not trigger in this configuration.
Hmm... That's definitely a bug then. I'm on it. I'll shot a quick little video showing you what I want in terms of samples. You'll need to wait until the weekend though.

Rob
millzners

Post by millzners »

I did the sample upload through the website last night, just let me know if you didn't receive it.

Thanks!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Ya, I see it. I'll have a look at it this afternoon. I'll probably need you to send me more, but I'll start working with what you send me first.

Rob.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've gotten great result from the sample you uploaded. I've sent you an email.

Rob.