Problem with dual zone pad

Stormlord1736

Problem with dual zone pad

Post by Stormlord1736 »

Hello,
I try to explain my question.
Connecting my dual zone pad as mono (ie only the mesh), I can set up properly dynamic and positional sensing. As regards the sidestick in mono, the recognition is completely wrong, is there any specific procedure to ensure that DSP Trigger recognize it correctly? Looking at the video tutorial can not understand it.
Regarding the stereo, I create a stereo track in Cubase, connect the pad on a stereo channel, and finally I select stereo mode on DSP Trigger.
I can see from the indicators, that the signals are both successfully acquired, but everything behaves as before, ie the signal on left is used for the mesh, while the right signal is ignored.
How do I set the right signal as sidestick? After setting the right signal as sidestick, even the rimshot should work properly?

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Problem with dual zone pad

Post by Rob »

Stormlord1736 wrote:s regards the sidestick in mono, the recognition is completely wrong,
Can you be a little more specific? Do you maybe need to use the 'flip phase' control?
Stormlord1736 wrote:How do I set the right signal as sidestick? After setting the right signal as sidestick, even the rimshot should work properly?
If you find that the two channels are backwards, use the 'swap' button which will change the left and right channels. And yes, that will allow you to get rimshot detection, too.

That video is old and outdated....might be worth making a new one.

Regards,
Rob
Stormlord1736

Post by Stormlord1736 »

I have a DIY pad and for the moment I use a mono female jack for each piezo (so 2 mono jack).
I have a monu audio interface with 8 mono analog input and to create a stereo input, I connect for example mesh piezo to the input 1 and rim piezo 2 to input 2.
With cubase I create a stereo input and assign input 1 to left and input 2 to right.
Can you be a little more specific? Do you maybe need to use the 'flip phase' control?
When I use my pad in modo i connect only the mesh piezo, so I don't need to flip phase, right?

DSP Trigger, recognizes the circle only if I hit it in a certain way and with some force.
Also happens very often that when I hit the mesh, DSP recognizes trigger a sidestick, it is random, every time I make a new calbrate something else happens.
If you find that the two channels are backwards, use the 'swap' button which will change the left and right channels. And yes, that will allow you to get rimshot detection, too.
When I use my pad in stereo I see this situation (on DSP trigger meters).
1) If I hit the mesh, mesh piezo output is a bit higher than border piezo (left meter higher).
2) If I hit the border, border piezo output is much higher than mesh piezo (right meter higher).

When you say to use the "swap button" you mean the switch between mono and stereo?
If so, I have already set dsp trigger on stereo.

With regard to the positional sensing, that works pretty well to me.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

yeahtuna wrote:I have a DIY pad and for the moment I use a mono female jack for each piezo (so 2 mono jack).
I have a monu audio interface with 8 mono analog input and to create a stereo input, I connect for example mesh piezo to the input 1 and rim piezo 2 to input 2.
That all sounds correct to me.
yeahtuna wrote:When I use my pad in modo i connect only the mesh piezo, so I don't need to flip phase, right?
No, in stereo mode the 'flip' button won't have much effect (at least not for mesh pads), in mono mode DSP Trigger using phase information to distinguish articulations. Depending on how you've designed your pad, mono mode might not work so well for you. Might be best to stick with stereo for now.
yeahtuna wrote:When I use my pad in stereo I see this situation (on DSP trigger meters).
1) If I hit the mesh, mesh piezo output is a bit higher than border piezo (left meter higher).
2) If I hit the border, border piezo output is much higher than mesh piezo (right meter higher).
Then you need to balance the gain a bit better. When calibrating in stereo mode, the gain should be automatically set but it seems that somethings not quite right. Have you tried turning down the right channel a bit using the gain slider (it's super sensitive)? Is it already down all the way?

Regards, Rob.
Stormlord1736

Post by Stormlord1736 »

Have you tried turning down the right channel a bit using the gain slider (it's super sensitive)? Is it already down all the way?
I'have tried to tune down/up the right channel but I have no idea on how it should be.
So my question is, what situation should I create in terms of volume, between left and right channels, to ensure that DSP Trigger will work properly?
When I use my pad in stereo I see this situation (on DSP trigger meters).
what's wrong in the output of my pad?

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Take a look at this video. It's about fine tuning rimshot detection, but it touches on the topic of getting your head and rim zones nicely balanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3_i5KGQC9s
Stormlord1736

Post by Stormlord1736 »

yeahtuna wrote:Take a look at this video. It's about fine tuning rimshot detection, but it touches on the topic of getting your head and rim zones nicely balanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3_i5KGQC9s
Watching the video, I paid attention to the levels of output shown by the meters, I set the gain to get the same volume differences.

for example:
If I hit mesh, I have more less this output, 10 on mesh piezo and 5 on rim piezo.
If I hit rim, I have more less this output, 10 on rim piezo and 5 on mesh piezo.

So now, if I do a rimshot the output value between left and right, are approximately equal.

But it still don't work, I have wrong sidestick detection.

If on the meters I have for example, volume 0 on the left channel and volume 10 on the right channel, anyway DSP Trigger does't sound a sidestick. Why?
But sometimes, if I hit the rim in a certain way it sounds the sidestick. Is as if he were considering the type of sound and not the volumes.

In other, when DSP Trigger calibrates itself, it sets the gain between mesh and rim completely wrong, and when I modify the gain in order to obtain volume levels those noted above,
If I hit mesh, I have more less this output, 10 on mesh piezo and 5 on rim piezo.
If I hit rim, I have more less this output, 10 on rim piezo and 5 on mesh piezo.
I get a lot of retriggering.

Therefore, I can't get the recognition of the sidestick, and if I change the gain levels, also recognition of mesh shots are completely wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hmm... that sounds strange indeed. What input type are you using? What input type are you using? Can you see if switching to A->E makes any difference?
Stormlord1736

Post by Stormlord1736 »

What input type are you using? Can you see if switching to A->E makes any difference?
Generally I use generic pad input type, however also tried A->E but I can't see difference.
What should be the differences?

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hmm... Do you think you could record the audio coming from your pad and email it to me so I can see what's going on? Just record what you do to calibrate and email it to me as a wave or mp3. I'll be able to see very quickly what's going on.

support at audiofront dot net

Regards,
rob