2 CHANNEL input AUDIO INTERFACE SUPPORT

clementonsong@gmail.com

2 CHANNEL input AUDIO INTERFACE SUPPORT

Post by clementonsong@gmail.com »

Hi Rob,

Still I have cart problem.. Will share that in a separate thread.
Here, I was also researching your other product called DSP Trigger. I found beneficial to use it in addition to eDRUMin and MIDI EXPRESSION, just-in-case, I run out of space in my eDRUMin as my audio interface has 2 usable inputs too. But I don't understand why the pg:4 of the manual asks to use a RCA kind of a cable :roll: . My interface can take all 1/4 inch cables or XLR cables only as inputs and outputs are 1/4 inch as well.

My audio interface is a UAD Apollo Twin. It has 2 inputs is what it says. So, I believe, even though there are 2 TRS input jacks on the interface for ex: connected to say two stereo line outs of 2 different keyboards. In reality, for AUDIO (not MIDI) recording those 2 keyboards simultaneously in 2 separate AUDIO tracks in my DAW, i don't think it is possible as I only amount to 2 input channels in my interface. For doing such as this, i guess, I would need a 4 CH input audio interface. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

In the same case, when using DSP Trigger plugin, can I connect 2 stereo cables from two Roland CY-5 Cymbals (2-zone pads) to my interface and use DSP Trigger? What should I select the source of audio in my DAW's AUDIO tracks? Should I select CH1 & 2 for both the AUDIO Tracks and have DSP Trigger as a plugin in each of the tracks in my DAW? And would it still work independently generating different MIDI notes to trigger different Cymbals in my SD3?
Or must I just select CH1 input for the 1st pad and CH2 input for the 2nd pad? (even though both are connected with a stereoTRS cable)

I read thru the DSP Trigger manual and now, I know that even with connecting a MONO cable, I still can use the bow and the edge of the Cymbal (i am not sure whether the bell can be used too on a CY-5 Cymbal?).

My question is, does it make any difference or is it beneficial to the functioning of a dual zone Cymbal, if I use stereo TRS cable to connect to each of the dual zone cymbals instead of mono or TS cable to each of the dual zone cymbals? This relates to the upper half of my question (does connecting TRS be supported for a 2 channel interface - which I think 90% of the world uses these days):

So using a TRS in place of a TS:
1) Does it expand the coverage or strike area of the bow or edge area of the cymbal with DSP Trigger?
2) or expand sensitivity level with DSP Trigger?
3) or can it make better the triggering functionality of the bow and the edge zones (or the bell too if available)?

All the above 3 scenarios when connected to the DSP Trigger software(hooked to my 2 ch interface)? Or with just the eDRUMin module too? Please do let me know what works better?

I guess even if I connect a mono cable for each of the CY-5 cymbals, still the job can get done here but for the choke. But my question is, does using a TRS improve the above 3 points or increase the performance of the Pad or Cymbals overall be it DSP Trigger or eDRUMin? Thank you!!
Rob
Site Admin

Re: 2 CHANNEL input AUDIO INTERFACE SUPPORT

Post by Rob »

Yous sound card has two inputs. Therefore you can connect one stereo or two mono signals to it.... For example

1. You can connect 1 dual piezo drum pad. The TRS needs to be split, so that the tip signal goes to one input on your audio interface and the ring goes to the other input on your audio interface.

2. You can connect to cymbals. You'll need two TRS cables, and each will need to be split. The tip signal from each pad goes into an input on your audio interface. DSP Trigger is not able to process the switches on the rings.

Rob