Question about drum trigger

Sunaj

Question about drum trigger

Post by Sunaj »

would dsp be able to sense different parts of a bar stool for different articulations? "edge" for rimshot, middle for snare shot, etc.... the idea is to have a mic pointing toward the stool
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Question about drum trigger

Post by Rob »

No, it doesn't have any sort of positional sensing or multiple articulation detection when using a microphone.

However, it might be interesting to see what could be achieved in that regard if one were using a pair of microphones. If you were using two mics I suspect you'd be able to get 3 separate articulations. Actually, if you went and used the 'Generic Pad' mode in stereo with two microphones, I suspect you could hit close to one mic to get a 'hit', close to the other for the 'sidestick' and in the middle for a 'rimshot'. I think I'm gonna have to try this myself.
Sunaj

Post by Sunaj »

thanks for you response..

have you been able to get 3 articulations from one input? I have tried to do this with other drum trigger software and i cant seem to get the filtering right.. if so how dif YOU accomplish this? what surface was used?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I have not been able to accomplish this using a single microphone. As I suspected however, DSP Trigger can do it using a pair of microphones.

I guess it's also worth mentioning that using a cymbal pad, dsp trigger can pick out three articulations using a single input. But again that's using a piezo in the pad and not a microphone.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

BTW, what other software were you using?
Sunaj

Post by Sunaj »

i have used the drum trigger plugins included in REAPER
KT drum trigger
Drumagog
SLate trigger
and dsp free

can anything be modded to use a piezo in a way that will correspond with dsp trigger to pick up 3 articulations?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

No, not without coding a custom algorithm.

I did some more tests with a mic today and it probably wouldn't be too hard to get two articulations from a mic, but 3 articlations would probably be pushing it. If you think that would be useful I might consider implenting that functionality in the near future.
Sunaj

Post by Sunaj »

how could I set up dsp trigger to trigger two samples with one mic?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Here's a recipe for you. I tired this today and got excellent results using two different surfaces and a single shure 57.

The two different surfaces is the most important thing you need to take into consideration. You need surfaces that have distinct sounds in terms of their frequencies--you'll probably need to experiment a little.
  • 1. Select Rol-PDX-8 input type
    2. Turn off the 'sidestick' articulation
    3. Turn on 'postional sensing'
    4. Switch to positional sensing mode to 'note'
    4. Click the small LED in Positional Sensing Area to start calibrating. Hit each surface a few times.
    5. Turn off the LED
    6. Test and see how well it works.
You can try with a few different surfaces repeating steps 4-6 in order to find some reliable ones. I think you'll get best performance from the 'ROL-PD8-X' type, but I'll probably add this functionality to the 'microphone' input type in the future.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

haha...too cool. You can even just use you voice and to it beat box style...