Roland RT Triggers with Ableton

lod_ashtaroth

Roland RT Triggers with Ableton

Post by lod_ashtaroth »

Hey, I'm trying to get DSP trigger running effectively with the triggers I own in Ableton. I'm currently using the demo version as I don't want to purchase the product unless it works perfectly for me.

I have a Roland RT-30K Kick trigger and RT-30HR Snare/Rim Trigger. I've set it all up perfectly and can get it all running but the trouble I'm having comes from calibrating. Usually, once it's all running its either too sensitive (With multiple instances of double triggering and even non-stop triggering, including triggering from other drums), or it's not sensitive enough.

Ive been trying for some time to get this working nicely, and plugging these triggers into an spd-sx with midi works perfectly. But I don't want to bring an spd around just to use it to trigger midi.

Any help?

Thanks
Beau
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Roland RT Triggers with Ableton

Post by Rob »

Calibration get you closes, but you need to tweak those calibration settings to get better performance. It's all explained well in the manual. Definitely need to know how the hit decay and threshold controls work.

Rob
lod_ashtaroth

Post by lod_ashtaroth »

Has this been proven to work with drum triggers? Or pads only. Still struggling.
lod_ashtaroth

Post by lod_ashtaroth »

lod_ashtaroth wrote:Has this been proven to work with drum triggers? Or pads only. Still struggling.
So I did some experimenting yesterday and am having better results but its still not perfect. The calibrate function doesnt seem to really work too well for me at the moment.

Are there any general setting or helpful hints for use with an Acoustic Kit using drum triggers?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

DSP TRIGGER is designed for drum pads. While it can work just fine with triggers, don't expect to get multiple articulations, and don't expect the calibration function to work well.

Rob
e-Force

Post by e-Force »

Just wanted to chime in - despite DSP TRIGGER being designed for drum pads it works exceptionally well with non-drum-pad-solutions.
The problem with commercial triggers like the RTs from Roland (or all the others from 2box, ddrum, ddt or yamaha - and i tried them all...) lies within the triggers and how they are built (stereo/dual).
DSP TRIGGER works fantastic in showing just how bad actually most of these triggers are.
Although DSP TRIGGER is extremely capable you should alway check inside your AU host how good your trigger solution is even before actually feeding the input to DSP TRIGGER.
For example: Head Piezo in Input 1 and Rim Piezo in Input 2. If you have trouble getting the level of Input 1 always higher than input 2 when hitting the head and the level of Input 2 always higher than input 1 when hitting the rim, chances are you will not be able to get good results within DSP TRIGGER or only with a huge amount of tweaking.
But on the other hand - if you build / buy something that easily reflects your playing in the input levels of your AU host, setting up DSP TRIGGER is a breeze and can be as easy as choosing A-E Conversion, calibrating by hitting head and then rim and be done. Maybe tweak the curves a bit - which can also be done in most VSTs so the DSP TRIGGER setup part can be extremely easy.