Recommendation for audio interface

testbuckel

Recommendation for audio interface

Post by testbuckel »

Hi Rob.
I do want to use DSP Trigger for my drum set. Therefore I need 9 stereo channels.
Do you have a recommendation for an audio interface. I tried it with a Behringer
mixer, it works, but why ever the drumming was not the same compared to a Steinberg
audio interface. The Steinberg has preamps, what is not good.
Is it possible to use the Alesis Trigger I/O? I read about this in a post before.
I thought the Alesis is a pure trigger box?

Thanks and regards
Andreas
bcslaam

Re: Recommendation for audio interface

Post by bcslaam »

This is the crux I think...what is a cheap low latency way of doing this?

We need a good interface for the DAW with all its inputs for recording normally. So...can we run another cheap but low latency USB audio interface into DSPT? My guess is not currently. The only way to do this is to have a separately running server app that accesses the sound device ASIO and then tunnels it into DSPT via UDP or rewire or...? Maybe you could use Wormhole API somehow or better still VB-audio cable since they are still alive and well. What about the audio side of Copperlan? Most interfaces have limited stereo inputs, more so mono so we have to use many y-cables. That's not a probem really.

The fact is most trigger interfaces are lacking in something and they all have their own agendas to keep it tied to their pads. We are all wanting more position expression, zones and low latency.

I think for starters DSPT should be MIDI capable as well so that it CAN handle things like the cheap Alesis TriggerI/O or DDrum interface.

eTrigger was that (MIDI only stand alone) and there may be a comeback in 64bit. Lets hope. Unless DSPT gets a MIDI capability together.

The switch states in 2 or 3 zone pads/cymbals have discernible "velocity" ranges that can be detected by most interfaces. I certainly can with my outdated midiKITI. Thats enough to use them in DSPT via midi.

PS could be got from the difference in the velocity of a sensor in middle and one on the edge via midi. eTrigger does this..sort of.

Bringing in MIDI means you could also utilise HHat pedals.

Really what you guys should be doing is co-writing the code with the eTrigger guy. A stand alone app that fires midi to the DAW makes more sense to me because they can handle multiple midi interfaces easily.

It seems like it is currently a niche market and hard for you guys to devote time to it. But it is a steadily rising market. Electronic drums, once they become more expressive and lower latency via PC, are going to kick in even more in my opinion.

Rant over.