Setting up DSP in Cakewalk and other questions

Taikoguy

Setting up DSP in Cakewalk and other questions

Post by Taikoguy »

I am trying to test the free version of DSP Trigger to see if I can get positional sensing working with BFD3. I am using the latest version of Cakewalk by Bandlab with BFD3. I am using an RME Babyface Pro as my audio interface. DPS Trigger is properly receiving audio from my drum but not sending midi data to BFD3. Would the setup be the same as Sonar (as the instructions for Sonar are over ten years old, I thought it might be updated)?

Other questions:

I am using an internal center mounted dual zone drum trigger in an acoustic converted 14" snare with mesh drumhead. Is a center mounted internal trigger the best for positional sensing? Can you use a side mounted trigger for positional sensing?

Jobeky has 3 and 4 piezo internal triggers to reduce hot-spotting. Can you do positional sensing with triggers with multiple piezos, or will that confuse the software?

I'm a little confused on mono vs stereo. I am using a dual zone trigger. I am using a 1/4" TRS to dual 1/4" TS going into inputs 3 and 4 of my Babyface Pro. I am having DSP trigger monitor both channels in one instance. It seems to properly detect each individual piezo. My question is, it seems DSP Trigger can either do sidestick for you with keymap without MIDI CC messages, or(and?) use CC16 for positional sensing. Is there a superior/better method for BFD3? Would it be better to treat a dual zone trigger as two mono channels and do positional sensing on the drumhead, and a mono on the rim?

If I can get this to work how I hope it can, you definitely have a new customer. I am really interested in eDrummin as well. This is for a class I teach where each student has a drum. I currently can have up to 16 drums (each drum a student) going into my Surface Pro using a DDRUM DDTi and an old Roland TMC-6. It works well like this with a center hit and rimshot, but positional sensing would be so much better and flex what BFD3 can really do.

One last question. My Babyface Pro can take an ADAT input. If I hooked up a Behringer ADA8200 I could in theory hook up six dual zone drums. Has anyone here tried something like that? Would the Behringer add latency to the setup?

Thanks!

-Ben
Taikoguy

Re: Setting up DSP in Cakewalk and other questions

Post by Taikoguy »

UPDATE:

I was able to get DSP Trigger working with the latest version of Cakewalk. To make a long story short, DSP trigger was saying it was outputting hit, rimshot, and sidestick at D1 C#1 and E1 (by default), and after opening the MIDI log on BFD3 I saw it was sending to D3 C#3 and E3. I've had this discrepancy before between different software but wasn't expecting a two octave displacement. I wish all MIDI software would allow you to see what MIDI note number it was sending besides or in addition to note and octave number.

Anyway, what ended up working was setting up a single stereo audio track (my babyface pro inputs 3+4), turning on MIDI output in the dropdown menu under VST2 when DSP Trigger loads up after you add it as an FX filter, make note of the MIDI channel it outputs to. Then load up an instrument with BFD3, select the MIDI input as DSP Trigger and the channel you choose (omni won't work). Then make sure you setup a key map accounting for the two octave displacement.

What I found helpful in DSP trigger is when you setup the instance of DSP trigger and just want to test it, you left click over the pad box for hit, right click for rimshot, and middle mouse button for side stick. If you click to the top of the box (not the pad image) you get louder hits, and if you click lower in the box you get softer hits. It made testing much easier.

I will test it more tomorrow as my class starts tomorrow afternoon. I'm looking forward to testing out positional sensing for different larger drum samples this week. If I find answers to my other questions I'll post them here.

Thanks!
-Ben
Chaser

Re: Setting up DSP in Cakewalk and other questions

Post by Chaser »

Check/adjust the Octave Numbering Scheme in BFD3 MIDI Preferences
Tools > Show Preferences > MIDI