Please implement a RetrigCancel feature!

Rob
Site Admin

Re: Please implement a RetrigCancel feature!

Post by Rob »

Alright, I've updated x64 of the plugin (1.6.0.1) It includes my first stab at a fixing your retriggering woes. Let me know what you find.

Regards,
Rob
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've posted a beta version in the downloads section with proper installers for Windows and osx.
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

(SORRY : I did not see that you have posted back in the meantime and my last post reached the end of this forum-page one so this does not refer to the new beta)

hey Rob,
unfortunately I have to modify and revise my statement after several weeks of experience...

One of two (50%) of all cubase shutdowns with DSP Trigger will crash... :cry: The GUI is also a litlle buggy (it freezes and I have to shut the plugin GUI and reopen it to set parameters again (with the "updated" v1.5.0.6.) ; (same with MIDI-Expression-plugin: it has quite a buggy GUI) but despite this I come quite clean with them.

Another thing: I have bought a Roland TD11 modul and I have to say that it triggers my 13 inch DrumTec Pro-Snare-Pad very very well. There won't be something better at the moment when it comes to the trigger quality. DSP Trigger has no chance compared with the modul. But the plugin is still much better than Alesis Trigger IO!! Still the main problem: double triggers at hard hits at small latency (3 ms scantime). It is no option to increase the scantime: that way of a workaround would disqualify the tool. The Roland modul scantime is 2 ms. So I again come to the conclusion: Retrig Cancel Feature!
Do you have the possibility to compare your tool with a modern Roland modul like TD-11? Try it!
Best regards.
Last edited by Cartman1227 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Rob wrote:Alright, I've updated x64 of the plugin (1.6.0.1) It includes my first stab at a fixing your retriggering woes. Let me know what you find.

Regards,
Rob
Thanks, Rob. I will test the new version and report back as soon as possible... :D
But please tell me: do I have to run the new (beta) installer? I can't find a dll with v1.6.0.1 . Do I have to uninstall the previous version before running the new beta installer?

Thanks for your answer. :D
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Yes, run the installer. There's no need to uninstall first.
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Hello Rob,

ok, here my experience with the new beta:

Pad: DrumTec Pro Snare Pad http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-series-d ... anguage=en (with this pad you can achieve the absolutely best results with all pro features on a Roland modul)

It is strange: I cannot achieve any working calibration results with it. There are not only double triggers but tripple triggers.

But: I tested my old preset (saved with v1.5.0.6) and I got quite good and improved results with this old setting. But I have to rout the EQ with the big mid-frequence hole before DSP Trigger. Otherwise I still cannot avoid double triggers. With this setup I think it has got better and I can disable the transient desingner that was along with the EQ also routed before DSP Trigger v1.5.0.6 in order to avoid double triggers. Now this transient-tool is OFF and I get improved trigger quality without double triggers; but remember: I'm not able to do a calibration process with the new beta that is similar to the old preset-setting (even not when afterwards manually setting the scan-time to 10 ms) (Of course any plugins like the EQ are disabled when running the calibration ;) ).

The bad thing about my old vst-preset running in v1.6.0.1 is that the rim of my pro snare pad is not working as it should and as it was before: I only get triggers when hitting very hard. And concerning this the bad thing is that I cannot do a new calibration for the rim separately. With clicking on the calibration button my working and good trigger quality for the mesh-zone (HIT) is gone. And I can't adjust any settings manually: the gain controll sliders both already are at minimum when loading my old preset. Trying to set the range-sliders at RIMSHOT and SIDESTICK does not make things better for the bad rim trigger quality. So it wold be very nice if you could implement a seperate calibration for the zones or in other words an exclusive-calibration button for a certain zone so that a working or good setting for a different zone is not affected by the exclusive calibration process.

By the way, when first inserting DSP Trigger (and setting it to stereo input) the only zones in DSP Trigger that are flashing red when hitting the zones of my snare pad (even when calibrating) are " HIT " for the mesh zone (which is of course correct) and " SIDESTICK " for the rim of my pad. With no manual setting (even not with the "range"-settings for rimshot and sidestick) I can bring the " RIMSHOT " zone to flash in red colour. The ON/OFF-button of " POSITION " is white and not active, all other ON/OFF buttons are yellow. The pad type is " GENERIC PAD ", and I could not achieve any other or better results by changing the pad type or switching " POSITION " to ON.

Hey Rob, if you have the posibility: get a snare-pad like mine and bring it to work with you plugin. I know many professional drummers owning "DrumTec"-pads. They are one of the big e-drum companies here in Europe (if you want to play anything else than Roland-pads). Concerning trigger quality DrumTec-pro-pads work excellently with Roland-moduls. I cannot imagine any other manufacturer of excellently working mesh-pads that would differ much because concerning trigger quality there won't be anything that would beat Roland.

The bugginess (crashes in Cubase 64bit) is still there: especially when opening the GUI of DSP Trigger or edit some settings (the GUI even freezes when loading a vst-preset - I have to close it and reopen it, but this is not the main problem) Cubase will crash when closing or when unloading DSP Trigger from the insert-slots (even if no MIDI-routing to DSP Trigger is set). There are often correct close-processes of Cubase without any crash if the DSP Trigger GUI was not opened. ;)

Best regards! :)
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hi,

Glad to hear that the changes seemed to take care of the re-triggering, even if there are other issues. Let's try and get this crashing business taken care of first.

When the plugin is closing, there are objects that need to be deleted. If there's some memory management issues, this would be the source of the crashes. I'm linking to three different version of the plugin that don't delete various things during cleanup. See if any of them don't crash. The three versions are in subfolders (chunk, events, programs).

www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger.zip

Regards,
Rob
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Hi Rob,

I think I know something new now: The crash beaviour is different on different machines. I've got an old computer (with DualCore CPU) where I can't get a crash at all (v1.6.0.1 beta).
On the machine mentioned here ( http://www.audiofront.net/forum/viewtop ... p=884#wrap ) I always have a crash with all your versions in the different folders. No difference whatever dll-file is active when closing Cubase.
The OS (Win7 64bit SP1) and the DAW (Cubase 7.5.40) is the same on both computers. But there is a difference in windows settings: the new Core i5 machine has an audio-optimized tweaking: the usual stuff and nothing that is not recommended. (I did not have problems with real time audio (e-drumming) on this machine in any way before: no crashes with plugins and no dropouts or failure in sound). I want to test another machine so please give me another authorization code.

A different thing:
Cartman1227 wrote: By the way, when first inserting DSP Trigger (and setting it to stereo input) the only zones in DSP Trigger that are flashing red when hitting the zones of my snare pad (even when calibrating) are " HIT " for the mesh zone (which is of course correct) and " SIDESTICK " for the rim of my pad. With no manual setting (even not with the "range"-settings for rimshot and sidestick) I can bring the " RIMSHOT " zone to flash in red colour. The ON/OFF-button of " POSITION " is white and not active, all other ON/OFF buttons are yellow. The pad type is " GENERIC PAD ", and I could not achieve any other or better results by changing the pad type or switching " POSITION " to ON.
I managed now to bring the RIMSHOT zone to flash... (I really don't know what it was before...)
BUT: the "range" setting does not do what I want: when I increase it the left input channel is also affected and I get a rimshot-articulation on the HIT-zone. I want to set this seperately for the two input channels so that you can exclude the left channel in order your HIT-articulation stays untouched! The way it works now makes the velocity-based switching between sidestick and rimshot useless for my situation and my snare pad. So please implement an exclusive mode. (Same thing with calibrating a certain zone: please impement an exclusive mode...)

Best regards!
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I want to focus on the crashing that you are experiencing, and we can look at new features later. Do you have a link to the guide you used to tweak your machine. Maybe that'll highlight the problem.

Regards,
Rob
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Hi Rob,
here my settings: (though I really cannot imagine that this is the cause because it is quite usual stuff and with my experience do not lead to misbeaviour or crashes... ;) )

BIOS: IntelSpeedStep, Turbo Mode, C1, C1E, EIST (or however they are called): DISABLED

Windows:

Device Manager: Deactivate devices that are not needed for audio (like LAN)

Processor scheduling: Background Services

Uninstall Windows Tools like Defender, OutlookExpress, MSN, MediaCenter,...

Deactivated Windows Services:
-Defrag
-Windows Update
-Windows Presentation Foundation-Schriftartcache
-Windows Defender
-Windows Live ID Sign-in-Assistant
-Windows Media Player Netzwerkfreigabedienst
-IP-Hilfsdienst
-Diagnostic Policy Service
-UPnP Gerätehost
-SSDP-Search

Task Scheduler: Deactivated:
-folder Application Experience: AitAgent, ProgramDataUpdater
-folder Autochk: Proxy
-folder CertificateServicesClient: SystemTask, UserTask und User Task-Roam
-folder Customer Experience Improvement Program: Consolidator, KernelCeipTask, UsbCeip
-folder Defrag: ScheduledDefrag
-folder Diagnosis: Scheduled
-folder DiskDiagnostic: Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector
-folder Maintenance: WinSAT
-folder PerfTrack: BackgroundConfigServeyor
-folder Power Efficiency Diagnostics: AnalyzeSystem
-folder RAC: RacTask
-folder SideShow: SessionAgent und SystemDataProviders
-folder TextServicesFramework: MsCtfMonitor
-folder Windows Error Reporting: QueueReporting
-folder WindowsBackup: ConfigNotification