Please implement a RetrigCancel feature!

Cartman1227

Please implement a RetrigCancel feature!

Post by Cartman1227 »

Hello Rob,
I'm new here and I've bought you plugin immediately when I heard about it and tested it. :)
Great plugin, but at least one important function is missing: to avoid double triggering with my pro-snare pad ( http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-series-d ... anguage=en ) I had to insert a transient design plugin before DSP Trigger which causes little latency (and little CPU loss). No way with the features of DSP Trigger: there were always double triggers when hitting powerful (mostly very close to the first or main trigger event so that the outputted audio would nearly sound like kind of phasing). And it has nothing to do with calibration: even at the best calibration settings I got double triggers!
So please implement a double trig cancel function that works at least with the elimination of unwanted triggers after a wanted event in milliseconds :!: (like Roland " Mask Time ")
Look at the features " Retrig Cancel " and " Mask Time " of a Roland modul (manual) and you'll know what I mean.

If this feature was there your plugin would be a great alternative to a much too expensive Roland modul. (ok - I forgot the hihat controller... BTW, is there a chance that this is realizable? - I 'm sure many VSTi-e-drummers would pay much more for your plugin when they could avoid a Roland modul)

And there is a bug with Cubase 7.5 (64 bit) on Win7 64 bit (I wanted to use the bug report but I only received an error message...):
Every time I want to close a Cubase Project with DSP Trigger 64 inserted, it will crash.
And also when I want to remove the plugin from the insert slots.
Same behaviour in Cubase 7 LE/AI/Elements (64bit).
Please fix this. Thank you! Despite this issue it's a great plugin! :)
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Please implement a RetrigCancel feature!

Post by Rob »

Cartman1227 wrote:I'm new here and I've bought you plugin immediately when I heard about it and tested it.
Great plugin, but at least one important function is missing: to avoid double triggering with my pro-snare pad ( http://www.drum-tec.de/drumtec-series-d ... anguage=en ) I had to insert a transient design plugin before DSP Trigger which causes little latency (and little CPU loss). No way with the features of DSP Trigger: there were always double triggers when hitting powerful (mostly very close to the first or main trigger event so that the outputted audio would nearly sound like kind of phasing). And it has nothing to do with calibration: even at the best calibration settings I got double triggers!
If you're getting double triggers, maybe your scan time is too aggressive. You have a large headed snare, so it's going to take more time for the transients to arrive. What 'scantime' are you using?
Cartman1227 wrote:So please implement a double trig cancel function that works at least with the elimination of unwanted triggers after a wanted event in milliseconds (like Roland " Mask Time ")
Look at the features " Retrig Cancel " and " Mask Time " of a Roland modul (manual) and you'll know what I mean.
I've been asked to implement this feature before. While I will likely implement something in the future to ameliorate this kind of situation, properly setup, you shouldn't be getting any false triggers at all.
Cartman1227 wrote:And there is a bug with Cubase 7.5 (64 bit) on Win7 64 bit (I wanted to use the bug report but I only received an error message...):
Every time I want to close a Cubase Project with DSP Trigger 64 inserted, it will crash.
Please fix this
I think I remember fixing that already. I kinda put together a version 1.6 about a year back. It's stable, and full of bug fixes, but never got around to releasing it as I was planning to develop it further. It's the version I use and it's running fine here under Cubase 8 x64. I don't have an installer for it, but I'll through the dll up and you can see if it takes care of your wows.

DSP TRIGGER v 1.6 x64
www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger64.dll
Cartman1227 wrote:Despite this issue it's a great plugin!
Thanks
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Cartman1227 wrote:I'm new here and I've bought you plugin immediately when I heard about it and tested it.
If you're getting double triggers, maybe your scan time is too aggressive. You have a large headed snare, so it's going to take more time for the transients to arrive. What 'scantime' are you using?
Cartman1227 wrote:So please implement a double trig cancel function that works at least with the elimination of unwanted triggers after a wanted event in milliseconds (like Roland " Mask Time ")
I've been asked to implement this feature before. While I will likely implement something in the future to ameliorate this kind of situation, properly setup, you shouldn't be getting any false triggers at all.
Cartman1227 wrote:And there is a bug with Cubase 7.5 (64 bit) on Win7 64 bit (I wanted to use the bug report but I only received an error message...):
Please fix this
I think I remember fixing that already. I kinda put together a version 1.6 about a year back. It's stable, and full of bug fixes, but never got around to releasing it as I was planning to develop it further. It's the version I use and it's running fine here under Cubase 8 x64. I don't have an installer for it, but I'll through the dll up and you can see if it takes care of your woes.

DSP TRIGGER v 1.6 x64
http://www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger64.dll

DSP TRIGGER v 1.6 x32
http://www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger.dll

Cartman1227 wrote:Despite this issue it's a great plugin!
Thanks
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Rob wrote:
Thanks for your quick answer. :)
I've tried scantime up to 6 ms. At 6 ms there were still double triggers when playing hard strokes. I don't want the latency of more than 4 milliseconds from the scantime setting.
And DSP Trigger is translating my played velocity very well even at a scantime of 3 ms. So I want to go with 3 ms and eliminate double tiggers with a different tool/feature that is not adding any latency.

I've looked for a workaround in Cubase: Eliminating a double midi event with the Cubase midi plugin "Transformer". But I did not find a way and I think that it is impossible with "Transformer" because you'll have to set a time range (in milliseconds) where events have to be cancelled.

PS: and thanks for the 1.6 dll, but it is still crasching all my Cubase 64 bit versions (same issue with closing a project).
...and what about the hihat control thing? I am a drum teacher specializing in e-drums and I would appreciate it so much if you could buy only one great AudioFront plugin and do not need any modul...This would be a slap in Roland's face... ( I hate Roland because of their ridiculous prices and taking advantage of their monopoly). I always have to recommend e-drum stuff and it would be great to tell people that all they need is a plugin.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Cartman1227 wrote:I've tried scantime up to 6 ms. At 6 ms there were still double triggers when playing hard strokes. I don't want the latency of more than 4 milliseconds from the scantime setting.
And DSP Trigger is translating my played velocity very well even at a scantime of 3 ms. So I want to go with 3 ms and eliminate double tiggers with a different tool/feature that is not adding any latency.
I think I have a good solution to this issue without needing to add a 'retrigger' function. I've dusted off the DSP TRIGGER code and brought it mostly up to date. I'll try to get something together in the next couple of weeks.
Cartman1227 wrote:...and what about the hihat control thing? I am a drum teacher specializing in e-drums and I would appreciate it so much if you could buy only one great AudioFront plugin and do not need any modul...
The hihat module was designed to work with MIDI Expression or users using an expression pedal input for a highhat controller. It's still a long way off from being complete. I'll be disabling it for now in the next release. MIDI Expression is now capable to processing a hihat controller so that is a simple and inexpensive way to process a hihat control for use with DSP TRIGGER.

Regards,
Rob
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

ok, now I am curious. :D Please let me know when you release a new version. Thank you very much!! Best Regards.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Take a look at the last video called 'Note Mode'.

http://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpressio ... ion=videos
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Thanks, I will also buy MIDI Expression :)
Your work is really great, so I advertise you in the German DrummerForum requesting people to support you.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Hi,

I've been unable to reproduce the crash on my end. I've tested in Reaper and Cubase. I've updated that link. Can you download it and check to make sure it's not crashing for you either. I haven't implemented my solution for the retriggering yet, but I will once I'm sure the crashing issue is gone.

Regards,
Rob
Cartman1227

Post by Cartman1227 »

Thanks Rob, good job: I don't get Cubase-crashes anymore. :)

...and my MIDI Expression also works great!