Cantabile: a Windows workalike of MainStage? - might be fun for a Windows user to play with...

djbclark

Cantabile: a Windows workalike of MainStage? - might be fun for a Windows user to play with...

Post by djbclark »

Recently ran across this software; they have a free "lite" version that may be enough to run DSP Trigger:
Cantabile is a powerful and flexible VST host designed for live performing stage musicians who want to perform better.
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/free-vst-host

They also have a useful-looking eBook on getting rid of Windows audio glitches which I assume is applicable beyond just their software:
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Cantabile: a Windows workalike of MainStage? - might be fun for a Windows user to play with...

Post by Rob »

I love Cantabile. These days I use it almost exclusively if I'm not recording.
djbclark

Re: Cantabile: a Windows workalike of MainStage? - might be fun for a Windows user to play with...

Post by djbclark »

Between Cantabile and DTX Mania I may have to have a Windows box around again :-/

Do you know if DSP Trigger works with the lite version of Cantabile?

What made you choose Cantabile over Gig Performer?
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I've never tried the latter. For me the biggest selling point is that it reconnects USB MIDI devices on the fly. When I'm developing eDRUMin or MIDI Expression, I often have to reprogram the hardware. Not having to close and reopen Cantabile saves me a lot of time and avoids unnecessary stress.
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

Rob wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 pm
I love Cantabile. These days I use it almost exclusively if I'm not recording.
Have you had it working with DSP Trigger, or is this just with the hardware products?

If the former is true, a quick HOWTO would be appreciated! :-)

I've found that getting audio into DSPTrigger is usually pretty easy, but then getting MIDI from DSPTrigger to an Instrument is non-obvious, at least for a newbie in the environment.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

In Cantabile, it's super easy.
image.png
image.png (8.18 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
Just connect the DSP TRIGGER MIDI Out to the MIDI In of the drum sampler.
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

Is there a trick to making Canrible see all of your I/O ports? For some reason it only sees my external microphone, not line in (DSP Trigger is now working by tapping next to the microphone lol).

UPDATE: This seems to be a Windows issue, not a DSP Trigger issue, so nevermind.