Roland Module + edrumin 4 and dsp trigger?

natrix78

Roland Module + edrumin 4 and dsp trigger?

Post by natrix78 »

Hello forum
I aim to improve the playability of my Roland stock TD-10: MIDI out, PC sampler, Reaper.

Is DSP trigger as a stand alone good, or shall I consider using a eDRUMin Module to improve the sensitivity, response?

Would one use both the DSP trigger software and the eDRUMin software together? I don't understand the overlap within each programs usage.

Module+edrumin 4 ->and dsp trigger___good or bad?

Ty
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Roland Module + edrumin 4 and dsp trigger?

Post by Rob »

DSP TRIGGER is a pure software solution and works with piezo based pads.

eDRUMin is a hardware solution with a software interface. It supports piezo based pads as well as piezo/switch pads and cymbals, and hihat controllers.
natrix78

Post by natrix78 »

Can they work simultaneously? If so, is there advantage? Or are they meant as an either or scenario? I love what I see in the videos of the eDRUMin hardware. And also the DSP Trig software. I was considering using a eDRUMin 4 connected with my module for improved snare, rides, etc. But then fine tuning the other pads (routed through the roland) with DSP trigger? Is that wrong think?

Thank you for your kind patience.
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

natrix78 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:19 pm
Can they work simultaneously? If so, is there advantage? Or are they meant as an either or scenario? I love what I see in the videos of the eDRUMin hardware. And also the DSP Trig software.
It's usually meant as a "use one or the other" situation. The only reasons I could see for using DSP Trigger if you have the eDrumminX hardware are:

(a) you've run out of open channels on your eDrummin unit (4 on the 4, 10 on the 10) and need just one more drum, or
(b) you want to use drums in two separate locations, but are fine with just having one drum in one location for practicing (this is my reason for using both) or
(c) you already have a big USB audio interface with lots of open ports doing nothing, and want to save money.

The hardware should always do a better job than the software. It's specialized and also I think Rob works on it more intensely at the present moment.
natrix78 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:19 pm
I was considering using a eDRUMin 4 connected with my module for improved snare, rides, etc. But then fine tuning the other pads (routed through the roland) with DSP trigger? Is that wrong think?
All you might do is save money. But decent USB Audio interfaces are pretty expensive, and eDrummin4s are pretty cheap. So you'd have to do some shopping and then do some math. But if it's at all close I'd suggest going with eDrummin, it'll be less pain in the long run as it Just Works. And with DSP Trigger there is the whole matter of "will it work with my DAW or VST host" and "what DAW or VST host should I use?" - I've been stuck on these for months, to the detriment of my actual drum practice. If it was allowed, I'd sell you my copy of DSP Trigger just to be rid of it and my silly need to make use of everything I purchase.

Suggestion for Rob: Let people void their DSP Trigger licenses for like a $30 off Audiofront Hardware coupon :-)
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

Oh wait, you said "routed through the Roland". I think that's a basic misunderstanding. I'm 99% sure that what would come out of the roland would be MIDI. DSP Trigger works on raw audio; to feed it lots of drums, you need something called a USB Audio Interface, which is basically a big external sound card with a bunch of separate line ins and line outs.