Circuit to convert switch signal to piezo-like signal?

djbclark

Circuit to convert switch signal to piezo-like signal?

Post by djbclark »

I'm wondering if anyone with more electronics knowledge than me has considered making a circuit that converts a switches signal to a piezo-style signal so that it would work with DSP Trigger.

Esp. Important now that it looks like new edrumin4 units are more than a year away :-(

I'm not sure how complex such a circuit would need to be, my initial thought would be the switch would just have to trigger the momentary release of a piezo-level current and voltage. (This would be for crossstick and rimshots so lack of velocity info wouldn't be too annoying, or maybe could be detected by the main piezo). Hmm actually maybe it's more a routing issue, eg if switch a is triggered send piezo output to output a, if b is triggered send to output b, if neither is triggered send to output c, if both then output d.

There is a circuit schematic that does kinda the opposite of this up at https://edrums.github.io/en/diy/keith_pp_2_ps/

Schematic of what I believe the two switches are like on my device / how they share a single output conductor at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1584&p=11256#p11256
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Circuit to convert switch signal to piezo-like signal?

Post by Rob »

There's no passive way to do it. That's why I made eDRUMin.
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

Is there a specific component that's causing the edrumin4 delay? I know some MIT people now working in the Shenzen electronics industry, could try hitting them up if that might be useful.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

There is. I'm also well connected and at this point I just need to wait.
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

I'm sure you are, but what's the harm in trying to crowdsource?

Maybe some individual happens to have a bunch of them or some bigcorp like Sweetwater does and would do a mutually beneficial deal of some kind.

In any case, thanks so much for designing and producing the edrumin, from all the research I've done they are super awesome :-)
djbclark

Post by djbclark »

There may be a simple way to get at least a one-velocity sound from one of the rim switches using only a resistor and a seperate mic input, as that's what this Android app does:

(See page for schematic; uploads seem to be disabled in this forum or I could easily just be blind :-)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... uitytester

I believe this relies on the fact that most computers send out a small voltage in order to be able to detect the presence of a mic.

Also re: no way to do it passively, assuming a 4-conductor computer-side jack (TRRS?) couldn't software play a tone over one of the stereo channels that is routed to the switched device and then detected (or not) by the mic on the same jack?

Gotta go unpack my electronics stuff,
-Danny
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

djbclark wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:03 am
I believe this relies on the fact that most computers send out a small voltage in order to be able to detect the presence of a mic.
Seems reasonable, but I doubt the same is true for professional audio interfaces.

djbclark wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:03 am
Also re: no way to do it passively, assuming a 4-conductor computer-side jack (TRRS?) couldn't software play a tone over one of the stereo channels that is routed to the switched device and then detected (or not) by the mic on the same jack?
Yes, that would work.