Positional sensing in DSP Trigger

rockdude

Positional sensing in DSP Trigger

Post by rockdude »

Is it possible to achieve positional sensing in DSP Trigger with a mono mesh pad or is it only possible with dual zone mesh pads? Any requirements regarding the meshpads trigger build? Any differences in performance between a a trigger cone or reflection plate design regarding positional sensing...and performance in DSP Trigger in general?
Computer specs: Mac Mini, MacBook Pro
DAW: Tracktion Waveform Pro, Garageband
Audio interface: Motu 828mk3 Hybrid, UR22mkII
Drum module: Dual eDRUMin + DSP Trigger
Drum kit: DIY A2E converted kit + 1 Yamaha RHH-135 Hi-Hat and 3 Yamaha PCY-155
Rob
Site Admin

Re: Positional sensing in DSP Trigger

Post by Rob »

Mono is all you need. I designed it to be used with cones--not sure about reflection plates. I'll have to get back to you on that one. What kind of pad are you trying to use it with?
rockdude

Post by rockdude »

yeahtuna wrote:Mono is all you need. I designed it to be used with cones--not sure about reflection plates. I'll have to get back to you on that one. What kind of pad are you trying to use it with?
Good to know. I have an DIY A to E converted acoustic set with both cones and reflection plate designs. All mesh heads. I'll try both and let you know what works.
Computer specs: Mac Mini, MacBook Pro
DAW: Tracktion Waveform Pro, Garageband
Audio interface: Motu 828mk3 Hybrid, UR22mkII
Drum module: Dual eDRUMin + DSP Trigger
Drum kit: DIY A2E converted kit + 1 Yamaha RHH-135 Hi-Hat and 3 Yamaha PCY-155
e-Force

Post by e-Force »

Hi,
are there any news wether DSP Trigger can achieve positional sensing with reflection plate pads (or diy trigger/pads using a reflection plate design)?

If indeed the central mounted piezo (under a cone) is needed for positional sensing (along with a mesh head) has anyone experience how well this is working versus Roland/Megadrum where positional sensing is still highly dependent on the right cone, the right height, the right head tension and so on?

Does the positional sensing mechanism in DSP Trigger work like the one in a drum module (measuring the first half-wave) or is it different (i am hoping it is...).

Best regards,
Johannes.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Currently there is no positional sensing for reflection plate designs. For mesh heads, it works similar to the Roland Method, but a lot of other considerations are taken into account to improve accuracy. In terms of design, I'd say it's best to just go buy a commercial pad. They are designed to last. My positional sensing design works with the Roland PD-8 pads (not center mounted, btw), and they can be picked up relatively cheap.

Rob
e-Force

Post by e-Force »

Hi Rob,

thank you for your fast reply!
Do you have an idea what would happen to DSP Triggers positional sensing if one were to dampen the mesh-head around the center cone of a PD105/85?
Just slightly, maybe with poly-fil or something similar.

Best regards,
Johannes.
Ivartz

Post by Ivartz »

Hi Rob,

Is it possible for DSP Trigger to use positioninal sensing on the:

-xD-P10M snare drum from AVT? This snare has three trigger cones in it.
-Yamaha XP100SP (I ask becourse i know it is really quiet, and I might go buy it as a single unit)

Thank you, from Simon.